"Protecting" a pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
What are your thoughts on a coach "protecting" a pitcher?

My DD (2nd year 14U) was asked to join a competitive team. They have now played in two tournaments as a team since High School season ended. She is the #1 pitcher, but there is a close #2. Besides pitching my DD has always also played 1st and outfield. She is also a very good power hitter.

During the first tournament she sat most of the pool play games and came in to pitch against the "tough" teams during bracket play. She did well pitching, but did little else the entire tournament. She batted in pool play since they let you bat the full lineup (again did well), got substituted with a different runner most of the time, and played no other positions.

During the second tournament it was a similar story. When she discussed it with the coach he told her that he was "protecting" her. He said that he didn't want her batting since she could get HBP. He didn't want her running bases since she could get hurt sliding (she is aggressive). He didn't want her in the outfield because she might hurt herself diving for a ball (again, she is aggressive). He didn't want her at 1st because she might twist an ankle or hurt her hands. To me it is a little ridiculous.

She is the #1 pitcher on the team but #2 is close. There are also 3 other decent pitchers on the team. None of the other pitchers are "protected" in the same way as DD.

My concern as the parent is this... she is a good pitcher at 14U however she is probably a better batter and outfielder or 1st base. Were it not for her pitching she would definitely be starting at one of those two positions. I honestly don't know if she has the stuff to make it on a college team as a pitcher. If she keeps working hard at it she could... but I am pretty sure she could easily make a team as a hitter/outfield.

With the coach "protecting" her, she isn't going to get any reps at the other spots. On other teams in the past and HS ball, she is used to playing all the time. This is quite a change for her.

During the car ride home she told me she may not want to pitch next year in order to get to "play." She absolutely loves pitching and works hard at it, but loves playing the rest of the game just as much.

Is she coming to the point where she is going to have to make the decision between "Pitching" and "Playing?" If so, anyone have any words of wisdom on how to make that choice? Or do you think that it is just this coach being over protective?

Any thoughts appreciated.

btw.. she is NOT a "fragile flower." She is 5'10", very athletic, very strong, never been injured. Again, she is aggressive and goes hard for the ball... but that is a good thing.

Jul 28, 2008
You protect them by not putting them behind the dish. Otherwise you play them in the field and bat them. Pull them off the bases if they are slow or you're trying to keep them fresh during a loser out tournament. Otherwise they should play.

With that said, my #1 from a few years ago was legally blind in one eye. She couldn't hit worth a darn (.100) and couldn't field very well, but boy could she pitch. On Sunday's or state tournaments she didn't get to hit or play the field. She was a pitcher only during those times. She's in HS now and she's now a pitcher only.

Jul 21, 2008
Does the #2 pitcher sit when she is not pitching? Does the #1 or #2 catcher sit when she is not catching? If no then coach is using the "protecting her" as an excuse to play other girls.

The only reason I could think of for coach doing this is if it was a hot day and you got in the looser bracket and team was going to have to play 4 or 5 games in a single day, other than that I want my best players on the field every game.

On most high level teams not only do the pitchers hit they are usually the better hitters on the team.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
How many players on the team?

I doubt that this is about 'protecting' your DD...more likely, the coach wants to use more players and keep them and their parents happy. The team is carrying 5 pitchers--which is way too many. So, he gives you a line about "protecting" your DD in order to keep you quiet.

It is true that some *college* coaches do protect their pitchers and don't let them play a position. On some teams the pitchers pitch and don't do anything other than pitch--but, then all the pitches sit when they don't pitch.

Oct 18, 2009
It sounds as though the coach is looking for reasons to get other girls in the game. If there are more than 9 girls then coaches have to figure out a way to get other girls in to play and develop. Your DD is the big gun pitcher on this team. It sounds like the other girls are close in skill so subbing a runner for her and letting other girls play other positions is how the coach gets other girls in the game. If that isn't the role you want your daughter then this probably isn't the right fit for you and her. If you want your dd to be the #1 pitcher; 1B or CF when she isn't pitching find a team where they are weak in those areas.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
That's all well and good,, until....

Let me tell you what happened to a team in my area several years ago. They won a berth to the ASA 12u nationals halfway across the country.

They had one really good pitcher and three others that were not good. This was pointed out to the coach and he was advised to not play her at any other position in case she was injured. His response was "I do not coddle pitchers".

First game, #1 pitched, they won.

Second game, pitcher #2 started and pitcher #1 played 3rd base. Runner plows into pitcher#1 at 3rd,, BROKEN WRIST. They lost.

Next game, lost badly.

Entire team got to sit around and entertain themselves for two or three more days before they could fly home.

Total expense to their organization, reportedly, $12,000.00.

It could happen at any time. Pretty much anyone can fill in at 3rd base. Only a few can pitch.

If your pitcher is worth their weight in gold, better treat her as such.

Decide for yourself. That coach still regrets that decision and that was around 10 years ago.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My DD was a #1 pitcher, but she also could play other positions very well. When she went down with an overuse injury at age 16/17, she just became the 1st baseman or center fielder. She would not have been happy being a pitcher only. Everyone wants to bat.

You would have to be within the top 5 in the nation, at age 16, to be protected, by me. And that would be with the parents saying "She is not to do anything other than pitch."

College coaches want versatile players, I would think.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I doubt that this is about 'protecting' your DD...more likely, the coach wants to use more players and keep them and their parents happy. The team is carrying 5 pitchers--which is way too many. So, he gives you a line about "protecting" your DD in order to keep you quiet.

Bingo!

----------

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Here is how one coach dealt with it

I remember one team, also 12u, that had a different way of dealing with the pitcher questions.

EVERY girl on that team was a pitcher! EVERY ONE. The coach started the best pitcher and she pitched every game, until she pulled / tore something or got injured.

Then, he put in the next best and SHE continued throwing every game until the same thing happened to her.

I even saw the pitcher in one of their games, go into the dugout, started puking in a cooler and had to go back out and keep pitching. Coach cared not that she was sick, she was their best pitcher, so she was gonna keep pitching.

There are coaches out there like that. Parents paid BIG bucks to get their kid on this team too!

Unbelieveable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA