Private coach vs team coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2012
The team coach should have no problems backing off of her and not change or go against her hitting coach. Her results should speak for her.
1. If she carries a high BA and produces RBI's, on base etc then she should fall in the batting order accordingly.
2. If she doesn't produce the she should fall in lineup accordingly.
Case 1 he should also hold no grudge and he may need to look at what she is doing and adjust what he does
Case 2 if "his way" players are producing then he is on the right track.
IF examples 1 and 2 are true it just shows that there are more than 1 road to success and there isn't a one way that works for everyone.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
The team coach should have no problems backing off of her and not change or go against her hitting coach. Her results should speak for her.
1. If she carries a high BA and produces RBI's, on base etc then she should fall in the batting order accordingly.
2. If she doesn't produce the she should fall in lineup accordingly.
Case 1 he should also hold no grudge and he may need to look at what she is doing and adjust what he does
Case 2 if "his way" players are producing then he is on the right track.
IF examples 1 and 2 are true it just shows that there are more than 1 road to success and there isn't a one way that works for everyone.

HOWEVER, in building good swing mechanics, this girl may not currently have a high batting average. She may not currently have a lot of RBI's. Etc. Etc. There is no guarantee that the team coach has the correct tweaking to her swing, but the team coach will most surely be zealous in finding an excuse to tweak. Look, everyone who has anything to do with coaching (hitting, or whatever) likes to think he/she knows what the answers are to perceived problems. We even see fans in the stands blurting out what they perceive to be the adjustments that need to be made. I just saying that people in general are a bit anxious to suggest this and that.

Aug 12, 2014
What the differences are in the teaching between the coaches is irrelevant. Does the head coach know she is seeing the private coach? Talk to him/her about it and go from there.

May 13, 2012
HOWEVER, in building good swing mechanics, this girl may not currently have a high batting average. She may not currently have a lot of RBI's. Etc. Etc. There is no guarantee that the team coach has the correct tweaking to her swing, but the team coach will most surely be zealous in finding an excuse to tweak. Look, everyone who has anything to do with coaching (hitting, or whatever) likes to think he/she knows what the answers are to perceived problems. We even see fans in the stands blurting out what they perceive to be the adjustments that need to be made. I just saying that people in general are a bit anxious to suggest this and that.

I understand what you are saying and I know what I did. DD swung the way I taught her and as other players I taught. I had players taking lessons. The ones taking lessons I would not mess with their swing period. One of others occupied the 3 or 4 hole most games as would some of mine. I could care less who taught them and yes I did disagree with some teachings. I just looked at results whether you, I or someone else taght them. Producers got the most at bats and non producers were lower in the batting order.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I cannot speak for anyone else. All I can do is speak of my own personal experience. I am an assistant coach for DDs travel team. One of my responsibilities is hitting. There are several girls on the team that come to me exclusively (no, I do not get paid...). Some come to me until school ball starts but then have school coaches that focus on hitting. Some have other hitting coaches. Here is how I deal with each.

1) If the player comes to me for instruction, I do whatever I can to help them. I am not a fan of cookie cutter approaches, but rather find cues, drills, etc. that will help each hitter improve. Some will stride a little. Some will stride a lot. Some have an open stance. Etc.
2) If the player has a different hitting coach, I do not attempt to change anything. However, I will ask her (or her dad in some cases) about the instruction. When we are at a tournament, the hitting coach is not there. I am.... If I have some knowledge of what is being taught, I can better help WITHOUT changing anything. Sometimes it is just a matter of "Your timing is a little off. What does your coach suggest to fix this?". Sometimes just by asking the right question, you can get the player to remember something from the private instruction. I absolutely refuse to turn my back on any player on our team. That would be irresponsible coaching, IMO.
3) If the player comes to me but also receives instruction from their school coaches, I tread very carefully. I will help however I can, but will attempt to follow the guidelines that the school coaches follow. As an example, there is a player on our team that does not stride at all. I prefer a small stride, but can deal with a no stride. However, this player kept her front foot completely flat on the ground. I spoke with her and her dad, and then added a "heal raise" of the front foot. It was not a stride, but simply a lift of the heal to create some weight transfer and timing. She adapted to it well, and it passed the test of her high school coach.

Each situation is handled a little differently, but I don't think it does the player any good to have multiple coaches contradicting each other.

Nov 23, 2014
Thanks for the responses. Just for the record, her team coaches are NOT giving her a hard time. They just got indoors and started but it's easy to see the different style. I was just wondering how to go about tactfully. I respect any coach that gives his time to coach these young ladies.

IMHO you have to choose one way or the other. Which ever you think will benefit your DD is the one you choose. I've had the same situation before and in my case I just talked to the coaches and explained to them she has a private hitting coach and he's teaching something a little different. And they were cool with that ...they just asked me to ask the private coach what he thought about what she was doing and why he thought it was better... so I asked and told the coach and he was cool with what he said. I don't think a travel/club coach should trump a private coach IMO

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I pay good money for this guy and I really like what he is teaching.
This should be very simple-
I would tactfully let the coaches know she is getting private hitting instruction. that will usually do it. without criticizing them, you can let them know you just don't want her getting confused over two different approaches to hitting. Team coaches usually will be quick to back off when the kid is getting private instruction.
Also
SHE should not be afraid to tell the coach when he is teaching something different than what her hitting coach is teaching. Let him know when it doesn't make sense or is confusing her because it's different.

the key is communicating that there is private coaching involved.

if they have questions about what is being taught, give them the coach's contact info and have them discuss it.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
if they have questions about what is being taught, give them the coach's contact info and have them discuss it.

This is a very good point, and I have personally had some of those conversations. The private coaches I have talked with have typically been open to the conversation and are usually helpful with some advice such as "watch for this when she is hitting...". The high school coaches are hit or miss. Some are more than willing to talk to me and are open to the discussion. Some won't give me the time of day...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi