What do you expect from a coach/ team in terms of development at 14u?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2023
I’m curious what is reasonable to expect from a team coach/ team vs private coach at 14u?

Do team coaches help with throwing form/ accuracy?
Batting?
Pitching?

Or is it all expected to be developed by private coaches? And the coach just chooses who is having success with their private coaches to play?

This is our first year in comp softball and I’m trying to baseline my expectations of what one should reasonably expect from a team.

Jun 8, 2016
I’m curious what is reasonable to expect from a team coach/ team vs private coach at 14u?

Batting?
Pitching?

Or is it all expected to be developed by private coaches? And the coach just chooses who is having success with their private coaches to play?

This is our first year in comp softball and I’m trying to baseline my expectations of what one should reasonably expect from a team.
Hitting: Mechanics,no. Approach, yes.
Throwing/fielding: warmup drills for throwing (Wasserman stuff) can be helpful and some instruction/drills for fielding mechanics but (a lot) work still needs to be put in outside of practice
Pitching: Similar to hitting. Mechanics no. How to setup a hitter, etc I think should be discussed

There isn't enough time in practice to work with 13-15 players enough in order to make huge dent in physical skills IMO.

Along with a private coach there is also the option of you putting in some outside work with them...

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Those are questions that should have been asked prior to joining the team. Pitching is generally taught by private coach. Many 14U players have hitting coaches. But going to a half hour hitting lesson on Tuesday night is not enough to prepare for the weekend. Hitting is hard and takes a lot of practice. You need a bownet, a tee, a bucket of balls and pitching screen would be an excellent investment for your safety.

May 27, 2022
Depends what kind of team you are:
- Elite?
- Competitive?
- Developmental?

I expected every coach to make my DD's better. That might be strategy that might be mechanics. That is where getting your DD into the right team/program matters.

May 13, 2023
Hitting: Mechanics,no. Approach, yes.
Throwing/fielding: warmup drills for throwing (Wasserman stuff) can be helpful and some instruction/drills for fielding mechanics but (a lot) work still needs to be put in outside of practice
Pitching: Similar to hitting. Mechanics no. How to setup a hitter, etc I think should be discussed

There isn't enough time in practice to work with 13-15 players enough in order to make huge dent in physical skills IMO.

Along with a private coach there is also the option of you putting in some outside work with them...
⬆️✅

Like how @pattar replied.
Hitting mechanics no. Approach yes. However will say that I do not always agree with all coaches approach to hitting/stepping in the Box. Simply players have different ways of responding to being in the box and one approach may not work for all players equally.

Will add to discussion in most cases catching (being a technical position) requires instruction/work outside of Team environment.

Jan 20, 2023
sounds like you have a bunch of questions for perspective coaches come August for tryouts.

Yes, that’s the main reason I’m trying to get a feel for this.

DD has private lessons and practices at home.

I’m just trying to understand the role of the team and the team coach relative to all of it.

This is low level developmental 14u.

7th grader’s goal is to get a varsity letter at this point- not pitch for OU.

May 13, 2023
Yes, that’s the main reason I’m trying to get a feel for this.

DD has private lessons and practices at home.

I’m just trying to understand the role of the team and the team coach relative to all of it.

This is low level developmental 14u.

7th grader’s goal is to get a varsity letter at this point- not pitch for OU.
Think the difficulty in a team environment is gathering entire group of people that have the same goals of training.

Whether or not a coach is gathering people with a standard of everybody has to do hitting on their own at home,
Some coaches don't address this.
Where on some teams that is required.

Regardless of what your coach says for the team... Best plan for those who want to develop is definitely do hitting on your own as well with team.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas

Batting?
Pitching?

I think this is a great set of questions. I think more parents and players should consider the questions you have listed.

I believe unrealistic expectations from everyone involved cause many of the issues in youth sports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi