Private coach vs team coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 23, 2014
Someone asked how she was doing at the plate. I wished I would have asked her batting average because I really don't know. She seemed to do ok, like I said, she would bat 4th to 6th usually. She seemed to do ok. But you can always improve. I didn't notice the difference in styles until we got to indoor practice and they really started focusing on hitting. This is tournament ball, not high school. Her TB coaches are good guys. I just didn't know if this would be an issue. I guess the only way to find out is open up some dialouge.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
If anything OLIF is relentlessly consistent in its talking points. TB players always have a choice. It may not be convenient but they have a choice. Not so with school districts that limit educational freedom. The credentials require to coach in HS are a joke. If you can fog a mirror and attend a class you get your "credentials". Diversity is all about political correctness and does not enhance quality. Diversity is nothing more than sanctioned discrimination based on ethnicity, skin color, or gender.

Last edited:

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
As a team coach, I am always in touch with private coaches. I send them video so they can see what's happening outside the lesson environment. A team coach might need to fix a problem that the lesson coach never sees. I am pretty familiar with all of the local coaches, and their basic mechanics. I think it's best to put your ego away, and defer to the private coach, even if you have to bite your cheek to keep your mouth shut. Just point out the problem on video and ask how they would like it corrected. As a parent, you might ask the coach if he minds telling you what she should work on at her private. This takes all ego out of it, and opens the exchange between coaches.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
A team coach may ban the use of a stride on his/her team, yet the hitting coach of a particular player who has worked many more hours with that player individually may have found that using a stride helps the particular player in her overall hitting mechanics. Who is right? Who gets the final say? It's a tough situation to be in.

May 14, 2010
The credentials to coach in HS are a joke. But they are much more detailed and refined than TB. To coach TB, one must prove they are not a molester. No class or fogging a mirror. Nothing. Just not a molester.

At least in the state of IL.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
The credentials to coach in HS are a joke. But they are much more detailed and refined than TB. To coach TB, one must prove they are not a molester. No class or fogging a mirror. Nothing. Just not a molester.

At least in the state of IL.

you don't have to even prove that in some areas......

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
There are some good travel ball coaches. There are some bad travel ball coaches. There are some good high school coaches. There are some bad high school coaches. The true difference in my area is that players can switch travel teams much easier than they can transfer school districts. If the player/family is not happy with their travel ball experience, they can find another team. If the player/family is not happy with their high school softball experience, the only real option is to switch to track and field.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

Coaching TB is a great example of a free market economy. The requirements to coach TB are not very stringent (per your example - "not a molester"), but TB players are free to choose their team. HS players do not have that luxury, and I know a lot of HS coaches who would be out of a job if they did!

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I'll likely surprise some folks with this... I believe my DD's high school coach is fully qualified, and one of the best around.....in terms of his knowledge of the game, his dedication, and his abilities in terms of his game coaching skills.

HOWEVER, he falls way short in terms of how he behaves towards players who choose to not worship at his TB altar. He's downright vindictive toward them. For me, this is an abuse of power, power afforded him by the fact that he is the high school coach and essentially requires his players to play on his TB team, which I see as a conflict of interest of sorts. This has enabled him to monopolize TB in this, the high school, area. But again, his game coaching skills and skills generally..... I'd take these over what I've seen in a lot of high school and TB coaches in our state!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi