Portable speakers blaring at tournaments

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I can see this at 8U-12U, maybe even 14U. But when a 16U-18U team shows up at a college showcase with one of these things, along with fans and misters to keep them cool........then they wonder why not a single college coach will come near them.

Jan 20, 2015
Indiana
Same colleges playing same music at their games!!! I bet if kid is on teAm with mister fan and music but hits 3 bombs in a game and dominates in the field that college coach be happy to come say hello!!! Bet they even dance to the music enjoy the mister and crank up the fan - come on dude really!!!

Mar 13, 2010
It always amazes me dads who want to stop their daughters having fun while playing the sport. Having music has been happening since we had portable music. In the mid 90s we had our boom box cranking out hits. We had mix tapes we made. Our coach put a stop to it as it was distracting him. So we just sang the mix tape without the music.

God forbid the girls have * fun* while they're playing!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Lozza, the problem isn't that music is playing it is how obnoxiously loud the music is being played. It is rude and discourteous.

May 13, 2013
The only problem I see is if music has profanity and theyre not using an edited playlist.. That and the common courtesy of not rolling your speaker blasting through another game being played. We use ours while the girls warm up and right up to the coaches meeting with umps.

When the girls are dialed in we play their music, if they goof off they get a heavy dose of AC/DC, Ozzy, and Iron Maiden. Sorry to say I havent listened to much of my music lately. :(

Speaking of which anyone know of a decent wheelable speaker for less than 100?

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I was curious to get opinions on teams using portable speakers at tournaments. It seems like at every tournament (Fastpitch & baseball) more and more teams have music blaring during warm ups, between innings and some now have walk up music. It seems teams are respectful with it during their games, but what is annoying/distracting is that teams on other fields having it blaring next to an ongoing game. The speakers are getting ridiculous around here. I wasn't sure what I was seeing since it was across the field, but it looked like there was a guy who pulled up on a riding speaker (looked like a 4 wheeler with speakers down the side), wish I would have gotten a picture. There was another team with a speaker stack that looked like something from a KISS concert that took 2 car batteries to power it and a large metal cart it move it around. The TD at the last tournament came around to all teams and asked that they not be played loudly if a game was going on on an adjacent field.
I was curious if people are seeing tournaments starting regulate music/speakers around the country.

Around my area, almost every team has one. However, I have yet to see a team that wasn't respectful of the game being played if they had to warm up close to a field. That said, I have had OFers playing the game ask our girls to turn it up if it was a song they liked and have also watched them dance while playing the game:D

Sep 22, 2015
My DD plays 8U and most teams play music during warm-ups and between innings in our area. The problem with today's music is the sexually/suggestive lyrics. It is hard to find a clean song that is decent and relates to the players. Pandora has a filter for words, but it cannot prevent interpretation of lyrics or, for example, dropping it like its hot, getting low and shaking dat *bleep*, etc. I thought YG's "My Hitta" would be a great softball song...until I heard the original. *Sarcasm Intended* I don't even play the radio when I'm taking my 2009 DD to school in the morning due the sexually explicit content that can be heard on the radio between 7-8am.

At the end of the day, I'm there for the players and will do my best to incorporate fun with learning the game. In one of our last tournaments, it took the dreaded "Watch Me" song to get our girls going between the 3rd and 4th inning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan