Poll: B team playing some innings or C team playing every inning?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Better to be on B or C team?

• Total voters
Jan 31, 2015
@CLM265 She will be playing for her middle school this spring but she will be the youngest one on the team, so not sure how many innings she will get. Unfortunately, the rec leagues around here are a waste of time. Her 10U team played in a tournament last summer that had rec teams and both our pitchers threw no-hitters or 1-2 hitters every game. It was good for their egos, but pretty much just like throwing in practice.

Jan 31, 2015
@3bmama Agree, which is why we are sticking with the C team at least one more season. She just loves to play, but when not in the circle she plays 3rd, SS, 1st, or CF.

Jan 31, 2015
A pitcher joining a team with 12+ players and 3+ pitchers already there? Unless your kid is a flamethrower, stud hitter, and/or has tons of raw talent that you're sure these coaches could develop, you'd have to be nuts to sign up for that. Typically, there's no better teacher than game experience, and assuming the smaller "C" team is half-way decent, the chance to be in the circle 50% of the time and never on the bench is a great opportunity.

@Strike2 That was our conclusion. We have committed to the C team at least one more season. Thanks for your input.

Jan 31, 2015
I'm with Strike2 and RMC181. If you're reasonably sure she is one of the top 2 pitchers on that B team, go for it. But if she would be the 4th? Forget it, stay with the C, wait for the next opportunity.

@Eld Grove Hurrincane Actually, her pitching coach said she would be the #1 pitcher on the one team which has 16 already and doesn't cut, but I'm sure he tells everyone that. ;-) FWIW, he's their pitching coach too.

Jan 31, 2015
I agree! My DD would be motivated to earn more time by becoming the best pitcher possible and trying to become the #1.

She's definitely motivated to be the best. My concern is the politics in getting the opportunity to earn that #1 or #2 spot especially when #daddyball could be a factor.

Jan 31, 2015
One interesting caveat:

There was one weekend where DD #3 was the top pitcher for a 12U C level team, and pitched about half the innings. Another girl on a 14U A level team (different tournament) was the #2 or #3 pitcher, and pitched about 25% of her team's innings. However, that A level team went very deep into the tournament, so 25% of twice as many games winds up the same number of innings.

Good point. Something I did not consider. Thanks!

Jan 31, 2015
If your DD doesn't pitch, she will lose her competitive edge. We did the same thing one year. BIG MISTAKE. It is very hard to practice 3-5 times per week at pitching if you are throwing 3-5 innings per month. Then, when she gets her big break she won't be prepared for it because of lack of pitching time.

Consider the 12 C team, but look for another scenario at 12B even if it is an hour or two away. Stay away from any team that your DD would make 4 or 5 pitchers, and run like heck from any team at 12U with 13+ players.

Good points. Thanks for your input.

Jan 31, 2015
Between those choices, I'd go with the playing time every time. My experience in youth sports is most kids that age tend to lose interest if they aren't playing much. Obviously it's an individual thing and some kids are motivated by trying to earn the playing time. You know your daughter.

Agreed. She just mentioned that she likes field hockey better than softball now which concerns me. She almost never gets substituted in field hockey, and I definitely think it's a factor. Thanks for your input.

Jan 31, 2015
I have a couple problems with the "B" team. First of all, the range of 14-16 is the difference between too many and WAYYYY too many. So your daughter will make it 15-17. I don't know if anyone else is thinking the same thing I am.... Why are they offering a roster spot when they already have too many? Do they just keep an open roster all season to try and gobble up the better players? What about the kids whose parents already paid into the organization? How does that conversation go? "Sorry, your daughter was good enough when we had our original 12, but now we have 17 and she's not in the top tier so she's not going to play very much"? I would steer clear of any team with that many players that is still offering up roster spots.

If it were me, given these 2 choices, I'd have my daughter play with the C team. Get the valuable circle time.

Exactly our feelings too. Basically, their philosophy is to not turn any girl away that wants to play. That sound altruistic in principle, but it also means they collect a lot of $$$ per girl some of which do not get playing time.

That said, her pitching coach is the pitching coach for this team and claims she would be their #1 pitcher, but I'm not so sure, and if that does not turn out to be the case, then we are screwed for an entire year.

Jan 31, 2015
If all the other B teams in your area are carrying 12-16, then you need to go recruit from them and start a new team.

Actually, the C team is a *relatively* new team which is actually sort of a disadvantage due to the other teams' established reputations. i.e. that's easier said than done. ;-) Last year, our 10U team played several tournaments with only 8 players which sucks due to USSSA rules which suck since they penalize you at the plate for that missing 9th batter.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414