Poll: B team playing some innings or C team playing every inning?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Better to be on B or C team?

• Total voters
Jan 23, 2014
I would never want my dd to be on a team at 12U with more than 12 players. Where does she like to play when she isn't pitching? Will she have that opportunity on either team? It woUld definitely depend on where they tell you she is in the rotation. And even better than being told is feeling sure about it. 3 and 4 don't seem to see much time. Like others have said, pitchers need to be in the circle.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
A pitcher joining a team with 12+ players and 3+ pitchers already there? Unless your kid is a flamethrower, stud hitter, and/or has tons of raw talent that you're sure these coaches could develop, you'd have to be nuts to sign up for that. Typically, there's no better teacher than game experience, and assuming the smaller "C" team is half-way decent, the chance to be in the circle 50% of the time and never on the bench is a great opportunity.

Jun 29, 2013
I'm with Strike2 and RMC181. If you're reasonably sure she is one of the top 2 pitchers on that B team, go for it. But if she would be the 4th? Forget it, stay with the C, wait for the next opportunity.

May 8, 2013
I'd say go with the better team for tougher competition and have an attitude that you'll work your hinny off to be the go to pitcher and also a player with other skills that's to valuable to sit.

I agree! My DD would be motivated to earn more time by becoming the best pitcher possible and trying to become the #1.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
One interesting caveat:

There was one weekend where DD #3 was the top pitcher for a 12U C level team, and pitched about half the innings. Another girl on a 14U A level team (different tournament) was the #2 or #3 pitcher, and pitched about 25% of her team's innings. However, that A level team went very deep into the tournament, so 25% of twice as many games winds up the same number of innings.

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
I agree! My DD would be motivated to earn more time by becoming the best pitcher possible and trying to become the #1.

If your DD doesn't pitch, she will lose her competitive edge. We did the same thing one year. BIG MISTAKE. It is very hard to practice 3-5 times per week at pitching if you are throwing 3-5 innings per month. Then, when she gets her big break she won't be prepared for it because of lack of pitching time.

Consider the 12 C team, but look for another scenario at 12B even if it is an hour or two away. Stay away from any team that your DD would make 4 or 5 pitchers, and run like heck from any team at 12U with 13+ players.

Aug 12, 2014
Between those choices, I'd go with the playing time every time. My experience in youth sports is most kids that age tend to lose interest if they aren't playing much. Obviously it's an individual thing and some kids are motivated by trying to earn the playing time. You know your daughter.

Jul 17, 2012
I have a couple problems with the "B" team. First of all, the range of 14-16 is the difference between too many and WAYYYY too many. So your daughter will make it 15-17. I don't know if anyone else is thinking the same thing I am.... Why are they offering a roster spot when they already have too many? Do they just keep an open roster all season to try and gobble up the better players? What about the kids whose parents already paid into the organization? How does that conversation go? "Sorry, your daughter was good enough when we had our original 12, but now we have 17 and she's not in the top tier so she's not going to play very much"? I would steer clear of any team with that many players that is still offering up roster spots.

If it were me, given these 2 choices, I'd have my daughter play with the C team. Get the valuable circle time.

Feb 3, 2011
If all the other B teams in your area are carrying 12-16, then you need to go recruit from them and start a new team.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
What is so great about this B team that you would consider it? Is it because it's B? As a first year 12U player that wants to pitch you need to be on a team that will give you PITCHES. I wouldn't even worry about playing time at position 2 or 3 but just the primary. My DD is a catcher we don't look at teams that need a 3B but are full at C.

My DD played on C teams early on in 12U because pitching was not as good and catchers learn faster from bad pitching IMO. I would say pitchers learn faster with bad D and little to no offense as they are required to throw more pitches. Innings don't matter if you're only throwing 3 pitches a batter. This is about PITCHING experience so the more pitches she throws the better she will get.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles