playing time thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Well, it looks like the playing time is more based on how long you've been with the team. My DD only got 1 inning in all weekend so I had a very long talk with the head coach. He said he's in a tough situation (blah, blah, blah). He even said at least one of the assistant coaches is upset with him over my DD not playing (which I confirmed). He said she has been outstanding in practice, and that even one of the college coaches commented on how well she's been doing. The girl that plays her main position made multiple errors and cost them the game but was never pulled. She even got yelled at for not listening to the coaches.
He mentioned that he had her slated to play but kept in the starters in the close games, and that won't happen again. We'll see. I was told he won't be coaching after the season. My DD was extremely upset, but then got offers to play on 3 different teams in the last week which helped her feel better. She absolutely wants to stay and said she'd just prove that she should be on the field.

I know you said the team had 8 returning starters, but if you're playing 3 pool games on Sat. there's absolutely no excuse for ANY player to not get at least a total of 1 game worth of innings. If she keeps doing well on Sat., particularly at the plate, the coach won't have a choice but to find a spot for her in the batting order on Sundays. Based on your account of the discussion with the coach, IMO it sounds like he's afraid to give her that Sat opportunity because he knows that it likely will mean that he will have to have a hard conversation with one of those 8 returning starters when they sit on Sunday. Sounds like his AC is already telling him to man up. I'd give it another tournament to see if he gives her more of an opportunity on Saturday. If he does, Sundays will probably work themselves out in relatively short order. If no more of an opp than 1 inning again, you will need to decide how much harder to push.

Kudos to your DD - she has a great attitude. She just needs to keep working hard and learning to play more positions well so she can step in anywhere when the opportunity arises.

Oct 10, 2011
thanks

I know you said the team had 8 returning starters, but if you're playing 3 pool games on Sat. there's absolutely no excuse for ANY player to not get at least a total of 1 game worth of innings. If she keeps doing well on Sat., particularly at the plate, the coach won't have a choice but to find a spot for her in the batting order on Sundays. Based on your account of the discussion with the coach, IMO it sounds like he's afraid to give her that Sat opportunity because he knows that it likely will mean that he will have to have a hard conversation with one of those 8 returning starters when they sit on Sunday. Sounds like his AC is already telling him to man up. I'd give it another tournament to see if he gives her more of an opportunity on Saturday. If he does, Sundays will probably work themselves out in relatively short order. If no more of an opp than 1 inning again, you will need to decide how much harder to push.

Kudos to your DD - she has a great attitude. She just needs to keep working hard and learning to play more positions well so she can step in anywhere when the opportunity arises.

Thanks Greenmonsters. I think you've hit the nail on the head. We'll definitely give it more time...fortunately they play 3 tournaments a month. She's working on several positions and will be starting lessons soon with a great hitting coach, so I think things will be looking up.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
Learning, on the bright side your team isn't a revolving door for pick-up players so at least your DD isn't competing against players who don't pay and show up to start and bat high in the order. :). You don't envy me but I hope your dd gets the time she deserves and sounds like is beyond due for her! Cant wait to hear how she rocks it at the next tourney.

Apr 6, 2012
I agree somewhat with Alantabell, however what do you do (as a parent) when the position players are not producing and your DD still isn't even given a chance?

I would suggest that your daughter talk to the coach. The question she needs to ask is, "Coach, what can I improve on to get more time on the field? What do you see as my role on this team?" The answer to those questions will direct your next actions. If you have made a commitment, then you stick with it until tryouts for next year and then go looking. Trust me, my daughter was in this situation. We made it through the season and then we went to other tryouts where she found a team where she was given opportunity and played.

Also, as you look at those players who are not producing, think objectively. What do you think the coach sees in those kids that he doesn't see in yours? ( Of course, if it is true daddy ball, all bets are off.)

Apr 6, 2012
Just for the record, she hasn't been yanked off any team, ever. She was a starter on her old team, and moved to a higher level team with the blessing of her old coach who still frequently checks in with us. She also, never complains (except to us), is the loudest cheer leader on the bench, and busts her but off every day.

I didn't mean to imply that she was yanked off her team. I was just sharing what many parents do the minute they don't like something. It was a statement to ALL parents, that we are too quick to solve the problem by walking away.

Jun 1, 2009
Just tell her hard work will pay off. 3 years ago, DD was playing on maybe a "B" team, at best. Her friends were on the team. I had asked her if she wanted to tryout in August for a top "A" team in the state. She didn't want to.
During the winter we went to this teams hitting facility every week. In Feb, she was asked to join the team. We discussed it. She decided to go to the new team.
The coach was upfront, they were trying to fill a spot for someone that would be out the season. That he wouldn't guarantee playing time.
During the next few months of practice, DD was one of the better girls, but the first tournament came, and she didn't see a lot of playing time on Friday. Sat afternoon comes around, girl gets hurt, nothing serious. DD goes in. That was the last time, that she saw the bench. She played every inning of every game, the rest of the season.
The point i'm trying to make is, if she's busting her butt, once she gets into the games, the coach will see, that she should be starting.
It isn't very easy watching your DD sit, it was hard on her, always being the "stud" on the team.
Good luck!!

Oct 10, 2011
Thanks Eric. They finally started practicing her at her old infield position, which she was happy about (and did very well). We unfortunately will miss this next tournament, so we'll have to wait and see what happens. They'll be doing 6 in a row before we get our next break.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi