playing time thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 28, 2008
If'n it were me, I would be asking the coach what criteria have to be met in order to bat on Sunday for this team. If .400 & .500 don't make the cut, they have one hell of an offensive group. If that is the case, batting the roster of +.400 hitters isn't going to hurt the team!

My take is he isn't looking at the stats and isn't about the team.

Oct 10, 2011
She was 3 for 6 the prior tournament and one was a triple way over left fielders head. I think it will be tough breaking in like PA SB Dad said but I don't think they can wait too much longer. I'll go crazy!

Jul 1, 2010
I think most on this board can understand your frustration. I would make sure that you keep her focused on working on her defensive skills as well as her hitting using the lack of playing time as a motivator.

Help her stay positive and focus on getting better. DD plays for very good organization and the competition is fierce. It took her awhile to get what she considered a fair shot, but eventually she did and fortunately she was ready to take advantage.

Remember, things happen people move on, get hurt or sick, etc and although you never wish ill on others, she has to be ready to step in at a moments notice and show her skills. Afterward DD got her chance coach said "I never knew you had it in you", she smiled, nodded and later told me "cuz he never looked" to which I replied "shutup and get to work or you'll be riding the pine again" ;)

Oct 10, 2011
Well, today she got to play one full game in the outfield out of three (she had no action but was where she needed to be during each play). She got to bat 3 times and had one walk, 1 fly out, and 1 nice line drive for a single (1 RBI). Great attitude, and cheered all day. One girl got to play only 1 inning all day, so I have to look at the glass half full. My wife wants me to keep my mouth shut for awhile and be patient:)

May 31, 2009
Well, today she got to play one full game in the outfield out of three (she had no action but was where she needed to be during each play). She got to bat 3 times and had one walk, 1 fly out, and 1 nice line drive for a single (1 RBI). Great attitude, and cheered all day. One girl got to play only 1 inning all day, so I have to look at the glass half full. My wife wants me to keep my mouth shut for awhile and be patient:)

Might be a good idea to listen to your wife . Most of the time it bothers the parent more than the kid when they don't get much playing time. From this post, sounds like your dd is having fun.

If she's a good hitter like you say, then just be patient. Coach will find a place for her on Sundays if she's consistantly hitting good in practices and in pool play.

Jul 26, 2010
So she's not getting playing time. You now need to ask yourself if she is getting the coaching, instruction, and practice she needs to improve and hone her skills. Is she enjoying herself while she works on these things? Does she have a great attitude and is she putting in maximum effort at every practice and game? Is she saying, "I've no idea why I'm not playing more", or is she saying, "I could have hit/caught/thrown/thought better today"?

-W

Oct 10, 2011
So she's not getting playing time. You now need to ask yourself if she is getting the coaching, instruction, and practice she needs to improve and hone her skills. Is she enjoying herself while she works on these things? Does she have a great attitude and is she putting in maximum effort at every practice and game? Is she saying, "I've no idea why I'm not playing more", or is she saying, "I could have hit/caught/thrown/thought better today"?

-W
Bottom line is, she is having a blast, and has become very close to the girls on the team. The coaching is top notch and she practices extremely hard and puts in a lot of extra time off the field. She was recruited for her hitting by a college coach and is doing great when given the opportunity. She was really frustrated, but now we realize we are in this for the long run and good things will happen. Thanks!

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
We kind of have a similar situation in HS. DD didn't make the Varsity and was slated to pitch for the JV team. After two games she got called up to Varsity to play in the outfield. She is not an overpowering pitcher and considered slow at this level. I would say she is a good relief capable of 1+ innings and getting out of jams. I joke with her saying her drop is really called a gravity ball

She hasn't played much on Varsity. After last game where she got to pinch run for 4 pitches she was disappointed. We had a good talk and I asked her if she was playing JV what would she be doing? She answered pitching. I then asked her how much pitching time will she see on her Summer team, she said very little. I then asked what do you practice on during the Varsity practice? She said outfield. I asked how much time are you going to see in the outfield on your Summer team? Of course she said a lot. By this time she was getting the picture and practice with Varsity in the outfield is better for her than pitching with JV.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877