playing time thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Could you point me in the direction of a good thread that deals with "the amount of playing time" a girl gets. I know it's got to be here, but I can't seem to find it. I feel like a broken record talking to my DD that is busting her butt off but not seeing the rewards of her hard work yet in game time. I know it's coming but I guess I need a new pep talk for her (and maybe me:)
Thanks

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Might be good to point out your daughter's specific situation (school ball? travel ball? age division? history with her team? position?) because opinions about playing time usually depend on that. In a nutshell, I think school teams and elite-travel teams that are playing in ASA nationals and are legitimately training college prospects may have a good argument for sitting girls out of games and playing entirely to win. Everybody else should be letting everybody play a lot.

Oct 10, 2011
Sorry, I forgot to mention that info. 14u A level- Many of these girls end up playing D1 from this organization. She's new to the team and the players have been together a long time. The assistant coach said she may be the strongest hitter on the team. Just this week she knocked one over the fence in practice, and bounced one over at 13yrs but ends up splitting hitting time with another girl that sits.
Unfortunately, she plays the same position as one of the long time starters who is outstanding. She gets some outfield during pool play.
We know the situation but it's just hard to travel and then sit. I didn't want to waste anyones time, so I just thought I could read about what I already know...we need patience!

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
At 14U all players should have equal opportunity in pool play. When it comes to championship play on Sunday the best performers from Pool play get the start.

Your DD should be on the best team possible where she gets time on the dirt.

Oct 10, 2011
She recently approached the coach and he told her she was doing great and just to keep doing what she's doing...working hard and being a team player-her time will come.
2 line drives to deep outfield (base hits), 1 walk, 3 strike outs and 4 RBI's. Not great but a couple girls struck out every time. One nice play in the outfield- the only time she touched the ball. One of only few girls to hit a triple on the team this year. She hasn't played on Sunday yet which is when I get to see her play- that's I guess is my real frustation.

Oct 10, 2011
We'll talk to the coach. She made several teams and would have started, but we made the decision to move up in competition, so we knew this might happen. Doesn't make it a whole lot easier knowing this though! The coaches are outstanding so we still think we made the right choice but with 8 returning starters, I'm sure it's going to be tough for awhile.

Sep 17, 2009
Every situation is difference but I've SEEN patience work, where players stay with a good team over many years and some years -- often the first year, or a year with an injury, or just a poor-performing year or a better player arrives -- they don't get MAX playing time. But they persevere and while others jump ship and look for greener grass every year they benefit by staying the course.

Again, every situation is different. But I've seen ship-jumping (not that what you are doing) backfire. IF you have a good relationship with the team/coach AND she is getting excellent training, patience may not be the worst thing.

Good luck.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
If your DD is a new player on a well established team, there is no question it will be difficult for her to break into the line up. Raw stats don't always tell the full picture of what goes into the coach's thought process - remember that the coach has a history with the other players, so slow starts and slumps may not mean much to him as they might to you. In addition, when you are the new player, it is not enough to "outplay" a starter - in some cases the starter needs to play poorly to lose the position.

I agree with SB, your DD should also learn another position - the more versatile a player is, the more valuable she is, and it gives the coach options to get her playing time and more ABs. It's hard to replace the star SS, but if she can play 2B, 3B, and OF, the coach can definitely find more playing time for her.

Oct 10, 2011
I don't think the training gets much better than this...so patience is probably the key. A few players have to move on this year and we have a great relationship with the coaches and family. My DD is an outstanding tracker and she does enjoy the outfield also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1