Players have to pay at the gate?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Cecilia, I hear you. I want to be able to carry in all of the water that I want to, also. I believe, locally, I can carry a liter or so. But, if I had a child with a medical restriction, I would carry a doctor's note. Any place that wants to put themselves in the position of endangering a child's diet shouldn't be in the business.

Apr 13, 2013
DD is on a gluten free diet, we will not be going anywhere near the concession stand.

It hasn’t been an Issue yet but my plan is to send the venue an Email and hopefully get a response then bring a printed copy to the park.

We will see how that works but I am sure we will be allowed to bring in our own food, it is just a matter of getting to the right person before going to the park.

BLD will only let you bring in water, vitamin water, and fruit regardless of your medical condition our son has special needs and it didnt matter to them ....they do not have to abide by the American disabilities act since there privately owned....

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
..they do not have to abide by the American disabilities act since there privately owned....

Some of the municipalities I'm familiar with no longer enforce the whole ADA code. Your still required to follow it but they have basically passed the liability on to the owner. They have turned enforcement over to civil litigation. There have been may private orgs successfully sued for not compiling. There are lawyers that specialize in ADA violations and would love to take on the tournament directors on this issue. A simple letter would cause the TD's to fold like a cheap suit.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Some of the municipalities I'm familiar with no longer enforce the whole ADA code. Your still required to follow it but they have basically passed the liability on to the owner. They have turned enforcement over to civil litigation. There have been may private orgs successfully sued for not compiling. There are lawyers that specialize in ADA violations and would love to take on the tournament directors on this issue. A simple letter would cause the TD's to fold like a cheap suit.

And that is absolutely wrong

Jun 22, 2010
Schools in IL and AZ. don't charge a gate fee, at least they didn't when my kids were playing. Heck, you could carry in a refrigerator if you wanted to.
SHG (Amy will know what that is) charges a fee now, I guess to help pay for the new turf field. But they don't stop anybody from bringing in any food they want.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yes, I know what that is. So, a private school can charge a gate fee. Can the public school? How much is the fee?

I imagine that they have closed that field to the public, then. I took my kids there daily to play sand lot ball. Also, they let Clark Griffith LL pay there.

See? You learn something every day.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Private and public schools here charge $5 per person for a HS BB/SB game. Our HS fields have full concessions....hamburgers, hot dogs, grilled chicken, BBQ balogna. But we also use common sense and allow persons to bring their own food/drinks, because we realize these are mostly parents who come straight from work and don't want to live off concessions for 4 months. I'd say most of the schools we played this year also had common sense.

We have a real nice modern facility for TB tournaments in our town. They stay booked up all season. It is city owned, city operated and maintained. When the city leagues play ( during the week ) there is no charge at the gate. They make their money at registration.

On the TB weekends, the TD rents the fields for __$$, the gate fee goes to the TD. Concessions are run by the city. If it is a fundraiser, the HOST IS ALLOWED to set up their own confession grill/stand, the city concessions will not open.

Both the league and TB tourneys are pretty decent on bringing in food/drink. If you're walking thru the gate with a sandwich and a drink in your hand, you'll get the ok. If you're walking thru with 10 pizzas and a rolling cooler with a case of drinks, you'll probably get stopped.

Special needs? Yes, they are well taken care of. Bring whatever you need. Heck we even have an 6 seater golf cart that we use to pick up older people or the disabled in the parking lot and drop them off at the fields.......and the reverse. Of course we live in the south where common sense is a little more wide spread. :)

Jun 22, 2010
Yes, I know what that is. So, a private school can charge a gate fee. Can the public school? How much is the fee?

I imagine that they have closed that field to the public, then. I took my kids there daily to play sand lot ball. Also, they let Clark Griffith LL pay there.

See? You learn something every day.
I haven't seen a public school charge anything yet (except for postseason).

It's actually the old baseball field (and still the current baseball field); they have a portable mound that they bring in for baseball, and use a temporary fence for softball. No dirt; it's all turf. They used it for some games that had to be moved from Lanphier because of weather during the playoffs, also (almost no rainouts on the turf). Some outside events, too, which I imagine are paying some sort of fee to play there.

The old softball field is still a softball field; my kids' grade school plays there (as does SHG softball when there's a conflict with baseball), and it's still open to anyone.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd