Pitching Problem

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2015
My daughter is in her first year of 12u and has pitched for the last 3 years with good mechanics. For some reason she is now bending or learning while releasing her pitch. Any ideas on drills to help her stand tall? She is also pretty lazy with her glove hand as well? Thanks in advance for any help or ideas!

Jan 25, 2011
Post a video if you can. Maybe it is a mental thing. She is trying to throw strikes instead of letting it rip.

May 5, 2014
Pacific Northwest
Sounds a lot like my daughter. She has decent mechanics but will pick up bad habits every now and then. When i see her doing something new like bending I have found taking video of her on my phone and letting her see for herself helps a lot. We will look at a video with her pitching with correct mechanics and then the video of how she is currently pitching and then talk about the change. It helps if you can record in slow motion.

Apr 16, 2015
We are in our first year of 12u as well. The larger and heavier ball will mentally make them feel like they have to muscle it. You see dipping, jerking up, throwing the shoulder back and leaning forward as ways they try to muscle it. Using the camera helps big time. Last night my dd went from a 43 and pitched just fine. So much of the bad stuff at the end has to do with the beginning. It may just be timing, or muscling slowing her down early in the circle.

May 8, 2015
My daughter is in her first year of 12u and has pitched for the last 3 years with good mechanics. For some reason she is now bending or learning while releasing her pitch. Any ideas on drills to help her stand tall? She is also pretty lazy with her glove hand as well? Thanks in advance for any help or ideas!
Matt, when I have a players who do not finishing properly (hitting, fielding, pitching) I always have them hold their finish for a 5 sec. count down. I learned this from a former FSU assistant BB coach when he used it in a batting drill and it really helps kids with balance. I've been doing this with my 9U DD as she is learning to pitch and she has picked it up well. At first she is falling over and I made her get in the right position before I start counting (5, 4, 3, 2, 1). She just started pitching a couple weeks ago and now she finishes correctly with no problems. (We're still working on all the other stuff)

Similar to the "walk through" drill. Here

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah