HS pitching plans preseason/regular seasons!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2016
As HS season is about to be among us was looking for some ideas/drills for our pitchers.
Will have about 3 weeks for preseason and then the regular season will work.
Recently see a thread on here that had some great ideas but can't seem to find it.
Any help would go a long way.
Thanks

Jan 25, 2022
As HS season is about to be among us was looking for some ideas/drills for our pitchers.
Recently see a thread on here that had some great ideas but can't seem to find it.
Thanks

Get them in shape. Base cardio sessions, and they need to be able to throw at least 120 pitches without fading at all. Some will say that number should be as high as 160. That's your absolute #1 priority. By the time the season rolls around they should be throwing at least 100 full pitches 3x per week.

Our team suffered last year due to poor conditioning. We had quite a few tight games that got away from us after the arm faded. You could just about guarantee both starters would start to get nailed after a certain number of pitches were thrown. To add to that, both had nagging arm issues throughout the season.

All those reps will also give them plenty of work on accuracy.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Thanks

Your pitchers should be working throughout the off-season, even if you aren't the one working with them (check your state association rules... it's possible you can set up individual lessons to get them started).

Are you going to be teaching pitchers from scratch?

Aug 20, 2017
Need to be throwing to live batters at this point (depending on when the first game is). You’ve got to work them into being able to go 7 innings. If you got six weeks until first game, I would hold live intersquad games twice per week. 3 innings the first week, 4 innings the next week, then 5 innings, then 6 innings, then 7 innings. I wouldn’t allow them to throw more than 20-25 pitches in one inning. Once she hits that number swap it out.

I don’t like them throwing bullpen sessions with a high number of pitches without sitting. You want to simulate what they will do in a game. IMO they should never throw more than 40 pitches without sitting for 10 minutes. Hope that helps!

Aug 21, 2008
Scrimmage, Scrimmage, Scrimmage,

The dirty little secret is, you cannot get in game shape without playing games. No matter how many pitches you throw in bullpens, lessons, etc. It's not the same. I know it may seem like 100 pitches is 100 pitches regardless of a game, Scrimmage, lesson, or bullpen session. But it's not. Getting into "game shape" takes some time so do as many simulated games and scrimmages as possible.

Apr 14, 2022
Isn’t it more important to work on being an efficient and effective pitcher than endurance?
If they are throwing 25 pitches per inning most pitchers will fade. If they are throwing 15 pitches per inning endurance not much an issue.
Seems like working on the wrong thing.

Jun 29, 2023
My daughter is an 8th grader. I'm definitely more worried about endurance more than efficiency. She's going to efficient as she can be. These timed games she's played her whole life aren't helping her out for hs. We recently switched lessons to 60 minutes from 30 minutes because of this.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
What's more important?
Efficiency or endurance?
Speed or accuracy?
The answer is yes.
Session benefits are not an either-or proposition. They develop the pitcher, no matter how you measure it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles