PC Police strike again!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Oddly, my DD was a "Cougar" too............but all sports have the females as "Lady Cougars".

Let's say I ask you to meet me at the Cougars basketball game tonight, you accept. I go to the girls game at Halls high, you go to the boys game at Central high.

Which one sounds more honorable? Meet me at the girls basketball game or meet me at the Lady Cougars game?

To me, the girls basketball game sounds more honorable than the Lady Cougars game. Lady Cougars sounds like a version of the real thing, which is the Cougars. The girls teams are no better or worse than the boys teams, so why add a 'compliment' or 'qualifier' to one team's nickname and not the other?

I understand that people have taken pride in the Lady Vols and Lady Rams and Lady Cougars over the years, and that's fine. I appreciate the tradition. But this thread has demonstrated that a lot of people don't care for the 'Lady' attachment and view it as patronizing. So why have a nickname that could be divisive? Everybody will be proud to be a Cougar. Not everyone will appreciate being the Lady Cougars. If I were the principal of a new high school opening, I think the decision on Lady would be a no-brainer.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I really don't care, just saying I think it sounds silly, and no offense to your high school Amy, but if a new school were opening today...are they going to sit down and decide their mascot and nickname is going to be a MALE sheep..."what should we call the girls teams? Let's call them "LADY" male sheep and the mascot could dress up in his wife's clothes"
:)
Sorry, you guys are passionate about this so after that big poke, I am out.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
Very odd. I'm a life long resident of TN. In the south, the term "lady" is one of respect, unlike girl-woman. Any female can be........well a girl-woman. Only respectable females ( in the south ) are referred to as "ladies". I'd like to know who influenced the change, guessing someone not raised in the south, or not accustom to our traditions.

I agree. But in our area boys HS athletics are given all the press, money and glory - whether they deserve it or not. Girls HS athletics are for a large part ignored or at least shown as being not as important. So the female athletes are basically told every day that they are "less than" the boys. So DD equates putting the "Lady" in front as denoting the "less than" part of the schools athletic program. Sad but that is how she feels. There are no pep rallies for the female athletes, their programs are not able to raise as much money and they don't get the press that the male sports do. Just the way it is here.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Going from my Twitter feed, no one bothered to ask the Lady Vols, how they felt about the change. Typical and unnecessary drama.

Jul 23, 2014
Midwest
FWIW - The Lady Tiger like the Lioness does most of the hunting and killing and is by most accounts more feared. Throughout the animal kingdom more often than not the female of the species is more aggressive, dangerous, and harder working. Sounds to me like some PC nitwits needed to justify their pathetic existence.

FWIW - When you're in the wild running away from said lady tiger or lioness, and trying to warn others, you aren't yelling: "RUN!! IT'S A LADY TIGER!" or "HELP! I'm being attacked by a lioness!", you're just yelling: "RUN! IT'S A TIGER!" or "HELP! I'm being attacked by a lion!"

Oct 22, 2009
I really don't care, just saying I think it sounds silly, and no offense to your high school Amy, but if a new school were opening today...are they going to sit down and decide their mascot and nickname is going to be a MALE sheep..."what should we call the girls teams? Let's call them "LADY" male sheep and the mascot could dress up in his wife's clothes"
:)
Sorry, you guys are passionate about this so after that big poke, I am out.

The Ewes?:rolleyes:

May 13, 2012
I live in knoxville and believe the men teams at UT are the ones who should be offended. Of the sports teams that have received much national attention (as noticed by me) all have lady in front BB and SB. I dont know if apparel sales are lumped together or not but my family is more likely to buy a sweatshirt with lady vol than just vols due to the success of the womens sb and bb teams. All of the local high schools and various college use lady in front of their mascot names that I can think of. There is a few sound odd but I have never heard of anyone being offended as both my wife and dd have been called the lady ***, on all their school teams.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
FWIW - When you're in the wild running away from said lady tiger or lioness, and trying to warn others, you aren't yelling: "RUN!! IT'S A LADY TIGER!" or "HELP! I'm being attacked by a lioness!", you're just yelling: "RUN! IT'S A TIGER!" or "HELP! I'm being attacked by a lion!"

That is why people end up as cat poop. Stand your ground, take deliberate aim and place a round or two in the vitals. :)

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Meanwhile, I read that the University of Delaware - the Blue Hens - will no longer call its women's teams the Lady Hens. Something ironic in that. Y'all realize that the next thing to go will be gender-specific mascots at co-ed institutions -- Hens, Rams, Bulls. :)

Oct 22, 2009
Meanwhile, I read that the University of Delaware - the Blue Hens - will no longer call its women's teams the Lady Hens. Something ironic in that. Y'all realize that the next thing to go will be gender-specific mascots at co-ed institutions -- Hens, Rams, Bulls. :)

Yeah, I agree they shouldn't be called the Lady Hens, that just sounds silly.

But we need to distinguish between the male and female teams so I'm all for the Men Hens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck