PC Police strike again!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
^^^^^^ Huh. I guess they just want to consolidate? I still think it's too bad. I agree with the theory that it was some sort of a political/money decision and somehow the Lady Vols basketball got to keep their name under some sort of compromise clause.

I asked DD what she thought - she looked at me like I was crazy. "That's their name. It would be like someone telling me I had to change MY name. I don't want to change my name. It is who I am." She didn't see it as a gender qualifier at all. In fact, UT has made the "Lady" name such a strong brand, standing for excellence in sport, that many girls teams choose to use the "Lady" name as a show of how strong, dedicated and qualified they are.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
This is great. "Lauter Smith was speaking solely for herself in saying: “I’m not sure the female athlete is the best person to be messing with. We didn’t get to be Division I athletes without having persistence.”

I think Nike (or whomever) stepped into a hornet's nest that they thought was abandoned. Now, they are trying to calm the waters. This really looks bad for the school.

Oct 14, 2008
Here they are called the Louisville Lady Sluggers or Lady Cards. On any form of merchandise I have never seen anything except Louisville Softball Maybe Ky has already gone thru their PC process.

Feb 7, 2013
I live in San Diego where local Indian tribes are very prominent for what they do for the community - and not one of them had anything to do with lapdog SDSU chancellor that caved to a non-Indian whiner about Monty Montezuma, the SDSU mascot..

I guess the Native American tribes you know in San Diego were not the same ones protesting before today's NFL Washington Vs San Francisco game? But than again it's an overblown issue that doesn't affect anyone in that community?

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
I guess the Native American tribes you know in San Diego were not the same ones protesting before today's NFL Washington Vs San Francisco game? But than again it's an overblown issue that doesn't affect anyone in that community?

Nice selective reading...anyone who is looking to be offended these days can find something to be offended by...

Jan 24, 2009
Really?!!! How did this even come up as an issue that needs explaining in the first place? Not a good starting point, and how did they even get the idea they were the "other"?! If you said "I tell my girls the sky's the limit, and not dependent on gender" or "you deserve all the same opportunities that boys and men get," I that I would understand, but the above 'no.'

Babble a little longer and maybe you'll make sense. Where the hell did you get that 'other' business?

Allow me to steal from post #68 OILF:
...anyone who is looking to be offended these days can find something to be offended by...but

How did you possibly get your panties in a wad over that post?

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
My friend, I still think you're looking at it wrong. Sometimes these "ladies" out perform the male side of the school. As an example, our ladies in soccer, basketball, volleyball, and softball all made it to state multiple times during my DD's 4 years of HS. Guess who didn't make it....not once.......... baseball, football, wrestling and soccer. ( all male sports )

Perhaps some females do want to separate from the boys. I know our newspapers had 10x's the articles about the ladies sports accomplishments compared to the boys failures.

Being a Lady Cougar, meant more to them than just a.......Cougar.

I do understand and appreciate that many female athletes have taken pride in having the separate identity. The posts I have made have served only to express that I personally don't care for the 'Lady' attachment,and why I feel that way, and why others might feel that way, that it can be perceived as patronizing, etc. As for the Lady Vols, as I previously stated, I don't have a rooting interest in what they decide. It sounds like a mess at this point. But going forward, I think we'll be seeing fewer and fewer Lady Tigers and the like from new schools. I believe that fewer and fewer girls will want that sort of thing. Would like to see a new high school get a vote from the new student body and hear what they think.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck