PC Police strike again!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
We watch a lot of woman's basketball and soccer, even Tennesee. There's nothing lady like about it. I think "lady" in front of a team sounds stupid. I picture my mother in law in her ankle length dress playing 6v6 basketball.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We watch a lot of woman's basketball and soccer, even Tennesee. There's nothing lady like about it. I think "lady" in front of a team sounds stupid. I picture my mother in law in her ankle length dress playing 6v6 basketball.

Perhaps we should remove the term "First Lady" from presidential history too?

Aug 12, 2014
It probably is a regional thing, but I think referring to women's and girls' teams as "Lady" whatever is extremely demeaning. It implies that the men's and boys' teams are the real ones and the female teams are lesser so they need to have a qualifier.

I'm pretty sure that whatever their jobs are, women would be insulted if they had lady added to their title. Would you really feel it was intended to be respectful if you were called "lady manager" while your male counterpart was simply called "manager"?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I'm not a fan of the ''Lady'' tag on women's teams. I doesn't offend me, and I don't care what the University of Tennessee decides to do, but I don't get it. There's a local fastpitch organization called the Lady Tigers. What does Lady add? How is a Lady Tiger different than any other Tiger? I asked my daughter just now about it. Tried to be neutral. She's a high school freshman. Asked her if she'd want to be the Cougars or the Lady Cougars. She said, ''Cougars. We don't need to verify that we're girls. We're all Cougars.'' That's kinda the way I see it. But I guess there are bigger issues in the world of sports.

FWIW - The Lady Tiger like the Lioness does most of the hunting and killing and is by most accounts more feared. Throughout the animal kingdom more often than not the female of the species is more aggressive, dangerous, and harder working. Sounds to me like some PC nitwits needed to justify their pathetic existence.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Being from Knoxville, this topic has been discussed at length on local sports radio. The biggest problem locally is that if you are trying to unify a brand why allow one team to remain seperate. Either change all or change none. A local personality discussed this with a former Lady Vol track athelete. She said you are a Philadelphia Eagles fan right? What if I told you your team was now the Philadelphia Stars and there's nothing you can do about it? How would you feel? The local sentiment seems to be if you have one Lady Vol team, why change the others.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Looks like this had more to do with the switch to Nike than anything. ( headquarters in one of the blue northern states )

As usual, persons directly involved in a group ( former/current Lady Vols ) support keeping the title. Some pencil neck, who probably never played sports in their life, has complained it's degrading to women. Again, being referred to as a Lady in the south............is a complement.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I'm not a fan of the ''Lady'' tag on women's teams. I doesn't offend me, and I don't care what the University of Tennessee decides to do, but I don't get it. There's a local fastpitch organization called the Lady Tigers. What does Lady add? How is a Lady Tiger different than any other Tiger? I asked my daughter just now about it. Tried to be neutral. She's a high school freshman. Asked her if she'd want to be the Cougars or the Lady Cougars. She said, ''Cougars. We don't need to verify that we're girls. We're all Cougars.'' That's kinda the way I see it. But I guess there are bigger issues in the world of sports.

Oddly, my DD was a "Cougar" too............but all sports have the females as "Lady Cougars".

Let's say I ask you to meet me at the Cougars basketball game tonight, you accept. I go to the girls game at Halls high, you go to the boys game at Central high.

Which one sounds more honorable? Meet me at the girls basketball game or meet me at the Lady Cougars game?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32