Paying for DD to ride the bench....Not My Thing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
To answer your question:

My DD is new to catching. Really new to catching and she is developing. She looks like she has played the position for years, but she is not technically sound and needs more work (My Opinion). I believe she needs more game time experience. .

That a pretty big contradiction. If she looks like she has played the position for years then she would indeed be technically sound, no?

Either way she is not going to play all/most of the games at catcher under any circumstance but especially if she is still learning the position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
definitely do not be a 3rd catcher on a team, unless it is not your first choice for position. DD left a team she was 3rd catcher on. Ideally, 3rd C would be someone who has caught, can do the job if need be, but is no clamoring for innings behind the plate, but has another primary position. C time on a tournament team should breack down something like 55/35/10, and if needed that last number can be lower, ie throw them 1 or 2 innings in bracket play every weekend just to keep hand in.

Agree. My DD is #1 catcher on her team and I would say she catches 60% of the games (she is the only catcher on her HS team but she is also only one of 3 TB players on the whole roster)

She also plays 1st and 3rd.
2 catchers plus somebody who can catch in an emergency is how many teams roll.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
To answer your question:

My DD is new to catching. Really new to catching and she is developing. She looks like she has played the position for years, but she is not technically sound and needs more work (My Opinion). I believe she needs more game time experience.

Going to a new team to wait your turn at 12U I don't agree with. They have a good catcher she would be there to push the back up. I don't want to pay for her being the 3rd catcher when she is already in a good place.

before you ask: Yes she plays other positions SS and CF was her favorites and primaries until she tried catcher and fell in love with it.
So she would have been the 3rd catcher on that team? That makes more sense. It's better to be A1 and A2 Catcher on a team that splits time. There is always a 3rd catcher on a team, but that's not their #1 position. My kid is a catcher too. She only became the catcher once the 3 other "catchers" weren't working out at 10U All-stars, and once I realized that she can better control the game at catcher than she could at SS I kept her there. A team can never have enough catchers. Now she is playing in college and plays C, 3rd and last weekend played 1B.

Mar 28, 2020
Catching is fun!

What is your new playing time breakdown for her
ie: 33.33333% at ss, cf & catcher.

How many catchers now on the team?
Its hard to say...I guess 1/3 of her time..... I just know its more than enough time.....she is having fun and I am enjoying watching her improve.

The main catcher can not play Sunday mornings so DD plays Sunday morning games until the main catcher arrives. The 1st tournament that was only one full game, but more than enough for DD.

If there are back to back pool games on Saturday she will open the second of the games for the main catcher to give her a quick rest....The 1st tournament it was one inning.

Depends on the team we play weather she is SS or CF....if the team has bombers she is a CF if the team has strong grounder hitters then she is at SS. Last tournament she was heavy SS only one team had bombers

No third catcher......her family moved away last year after her injury.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
She looks like she has played the position for years, but she is not technically sound...

This ^^^ is a contradictory statement.

A big part of looking like an experienced catcher is being skilled in the technical aspects of playing the position.

Jun 8, 2016
I think we may have a an opportunity for Pattar to start a "Parent Coach" business. Teaching parents the benefits of watching games from left field, reducing their blood pressure, and lowering the stress levels in their kids. In extreme cases, watching from the car with the windows up so no one can hear them scream. :)
I've "evolved" to watching from my office via GC... :LOL:

Mar 28, 2020
That a pretty big contradiction. If she looks like she has played the position for years then she would indeed be technically sound, no?

Either way she is not going to play all/most of the games at catcher under any circumstance but especially if she is still learning the position.

In track she does the heptathlon so her athletic abilities covers for her......

My focus is making her technically sound.....combine that with her athleticism and her current love for the position.....we may have something in a few years......

only question is --- will she be 5'7" like her oldest sister or 5'1" like her sister who played softball???? that the real question right now she is tall for an 11 year old, but her 5'1" sister was tall at 11 and stopped growing......

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My focus is making her technically sound.....combine that with her athleticism and her current love for the position.....we may have something in a few years......

One of my favorite things from my time coaching 12U TB was helping an athletic, motivated, new catcher learn the skills of playing the position. Loving the domain behind the dish is one of the most critical factors to becoming good at it. There's always something to learn. My DD is in her 8th year of being primarily a catcher. She's still refining parts of her game.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I thought we just stablished there can (maybe not from team perspective, but from catcher development perspective) ;)
Back in 14U, when the #2 catcher "Hissy quits" on Saturday and DD had to catch 5 back to back games in row on Sunday, you realize that having more than 1 catcher is kind of important.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06