Paying for DD to ride the bench....Not My Thing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
Back in 14U, when the #2 catcher "Hissy quits" on Saturday and DD had to catch 5 back to back games in row on Sunday, you realize that having more than 1 catcher is kind of important.
oh more than 1 absolutely, consensus is and A, B, and a C (the last being someone who can, but it is not their primary/desired position).

but if you had 5 on the roster, who all wanted plate time, its gonna get interesting.

funny, 1B catcher on DDs team (DD was 1A) was getting about 40% of the innings behind the plate. left team because she was not getting enough plate time. now is looking for pickup opportunities, presumably because current team is not giving her 90% plus plate time, on a team that is not even close to as good. it is not always greener.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Back in 14U, when the #2 catcher "Hissy quits" on Saturday and DD had to catch 5 back to back games in row on Sunday, you realize that having more than 1 catcher is kind of important.

14U PGF qualifier...#2 C was recovering from a dislocated elbow. #3 C didn't show up to the tournament (lame excuses). Due to some other issues, we had only 9 available players for the whole weekend, including my DD as the only C. It was some of the best softball that team ever played...and they qualified for Premier. DD is still proud of the work she put in for those games.

May 6, 2015
14U PGF qualifier...#2 C was recovering from a dislocated elbow. #3 C didn't show up to the tournament (lame excuses). Due to some other issues, we had only 9 available players for the whole weekend, including my DD as the only C. It was some of the best softball that team ever played...and they qualified for Premier. DD is still proud of the work she put in for those games.
did you have a hep lock in her arm for IV fluids? I remember a national tournament two years ago, team ended up as runner up, 5 games on sunday, our two Cs were exhausted and drained by end of day, heat index was above 105 the whole weekend. icee vendor made a killing.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
//shameless plug upcoming// For all the Cs out there. When your playing days are over, PLEASE plan on, or at least consider, moving back a couple of feet and putting the jersey on top of the chest protector rather than under it!! //end shameless plug//

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
oh more than 1 absolutely, consensus is and A, B, and a C (the last being someone who can, but it is not their primary/desired position).

but if you had 5 on the roster, who all wanted plate time, its gonna get interesting.

funny, 1B catcher on DDs team (DD was 1A) was getting about 40% of the innings behind the plate. left team because she was not getting enough plate time. now is looking for pickup opportunities, presumably because current team is not giving her 90% plus plate time, on a team that is not even close to as good. it is not always greener.

Our 16u team had 4 catchers that were starters for their high schools. Luckily two of them really didn't want to be catchers. Both went on to play college ball; one as CF and the other at 3B.

It was a great position for out team to be in because of all the flexibility we had.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
The 1 hour 17 minute call on my call log from last night at 9:30 pm would suggest otherwise :rolleyes:
I tell my parents not to call or text after 8 p.m. because I will not answer it. If they do, they can expect a return phone call or text at 4 a.m. when I get up for work. It works really well. Plus I have the "Do Not Disturb" feature turn on at 8 p.m. on my smartphone.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
Oh yea I'm that parent, and I tell you..... I got three kids that all received scholarships...2 DI full rides and one DII partial .. I been there seen that....Got the hat, T-shirt, and Shoe Strings.

So I tell a coach up front. I tell you want you are getting.....don't get pissed at me....I told you up front.....you don't want none of this smoke.....

I am the customer .... Its my money and this game is expensive...... The coach saw her talent he knows she is raw ..... She and I are happy with our current team.

If you are going to recruit us away (and its us my money and her talent) ..... I expect her to play. Don't get pissed when I tell you that .... you can't guarantee there are 100 other parents that would love you ... not Me

My bank account says if I am paying and she is putting the work in....and yes she is putting the work in......she plays... if not USAA calls and curses me out..... LOL
The coach can't complain if you told him/her up front and then you were unhappy that your little angel sat for an inning, and it would never happen if I was the coach. Your kid wouldn't be on my team and I would be extremely happy with that decision. Sometimes sitting on the bench for an inning or two are a great incentive for a player who is not as good as others, or isn't living up to potential, or has a bad attitude. I hope hers is better than yours.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD's last TB tourney of career(TCS Nationals), 3 Seniors decided not to travel and I'm still bitter about that. The team had not performed very well the entire summer. One of the Seniors is the other Catcher. They did awful in pool play, but once bracket play started, they lit it up. DD had to Catch 3 back to back to games and a game the day before. These were full 7 inning games!!! We had a 3rd Catcher, but was really a 5th catcher for most other Gold teams. The team kicked rear, and was one win away from the final 16 team (85 teams) Single elimination bracket. I was super proud of the way they finished and of DD. She was done and said she could not of played another game.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
This weekend my DD was asked to join a solid B but low A tournament team. I told the guy who asked that "I don't pay for bench time". The guy felt slighted and had the nerve to say "Playing on a great team is a privilege and sometimes you have to wait your turn"

I replied: good when she gets good enough to start on your team come back but like I said before I don't pay for bench time.

I have read allot of post on this forum any many believe in the waiting your time. At 12U no...I don't....If she works hard during practice.....if she is putting extra work in.....and I am paying.....oh she is playing the entire game or I'll find another team

That is just me. Practice is Great and extremely important but game play is important for DDS to understand game scenarios. As games are different than practice.....the pressure is different

Heck this weekend in....the girls were in an elimination bracket with time expired bottom of the ending the girls in the out field. Score 11 to 10 the girls are up bases loaded no outs. The team bunts my DD is catcher she grabs the bunt going up third tagged the girl on the force run then throw out third base 2 quick outs and now girl on 2nd and 1st with 2 outs......and the pitcher got it together with three strikes game over...... This was my DD 1st full game as catcher (she normally plays CF) and she said after the game....""Dad I wanted to be taken out so bad.....I didn't want to mess up....she went on to say I felt like no one was on the field by me and the pitcher and everyone was looking at us.....and we did it we made it though""....after that statement I hugged her

you don't get that in practice and I am not paying for her to ride the bench.....that is just me....
And this is exactly what is wrong in the world of youth sports today. Take your daughter and stay at home..........Just wondering, did you tell this to your wife when you were dating her? If you ain’t in the saddle, you are going home??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06