Oklahoma Recruiting Class

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 20, 2015
About transferring
( Particularly reflecting on players who are transferring due to playing time reasons. Of which there is no guarantee they would for sure get better playing time elsewhere, because the grass isn't always greener over there...)

Think it would be a reasonable guess
if there was a rule in place that impacted some of their playing time eligibility that may reduce the amount of players that are transferring. 🤷‍♀️

If players had to sit out an amount of time they may transfer less.
That would be a natural attrition at reducing the amount of transfers.

Why do we want to limit a players ability to improve their situation, find the best fit athletically and academically, insure that they are treated fairly, etc

Student athletes are in a weird position where they are the engine, the product, and the beneficiary of the industry.....for too long they had to make a decision at a very young age, and were pretty bound to that decision....now that they finally have some power and control, I'd like to see them hang onto it

May 20, 2015
And if they want to transfer out of a hope for more playing time, by all means!

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Florida vs Michigan game. Florida lost the game 1-2

Rothrock pitched 10 innings giving up just one hit and got the loss. Can't pitch much better than that. That is a tough loss when you pitch that good for 10 full innings. Only 3 walks so she certainly was not wild. Hope the young lady can stay healthy.

Oct 14, 2019

Rothrock pitched 10 innings giving up just one hit and got the loss. Can't pitch much better than that. That is a tough loss when you pitch that good for 10 full innings. Only 3 walks so she certainly was not wild. Hope the young lady can stay healthy.
One of their other freshmen pitchers had a perfect game v Bethune Cookman. Good start for Brown, Rothrock and Miller.

May 13, 2023
Why do we want to limit a players ability to improve their situation, find the best fit athletically and academically, insure that they are treated fairly, etc
I am neither advocating for limiting transfer portal time OR allowing them to transfer as many times as they want.

My comment was regarding players that are transferring because of playing time. That perhaps if there was some eligibility guidelines built into the transfer portal that players might think a little more deeply about making the decision to change colleges because
⬇️
the grass isn't always greener over there.
There is no guarantee playing time will be better.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY

And I believe she's a student of a certain PC you referred me to...

Oct 14, 2019
I am neither advocating for limiting transfer portal time OR allowing them to transfer as many times as they want.

My comment was regarding players that are transferring because of playing time. That perhaps if there was some eligibility guidelines built into the transfer portal that players might think a little more deeply about making the decision to change colleges because
⬇️
the grass isn't always greener over there.
There is no guarantee playing time will be better.
A player used to be able to bide her time playing behind an upperclassmen and take the job when that player graduated. Now the coach is just as likely to fill that spot from the transfer portal. There are no guarantees so a player has the right to go where she thinks she can play. That extra covid year didn’t help things either.

May 13, 2023
Adding again,... my comment is *specifically regarding players who are transferring because of *playing time...

A player used to be able to bide her time playing behind an upperclassmen and take the job when that player graduated. Now the coach is just as likely to fill that spot from the transfer portal.
Yep! And that predicament has been made larger by the unrestricted ability to use the transfer portal.
There are no guarantees
Yep! There is no guarantee that entering the transfer portal will produce another college for that athlete.
Because of that there is a negative downside to the porthole that leaves some chunk of transfer portal hopefuls to have to stay where they're at after wanting to leave. Which that in itself can be a terrible predicament.
There is fall out from that.

so a player has the right to go where she thinks she can play.
They have the opportunity to enter the transfer portal. But there is NO ~ 'You have the right to playing time.' Transferring may not be a solution.

There should be a warning/ disclaimer that comes with the transfer portal~
By entering the transfer portal you are exposing to your current coach/ teammates that you would rather not play there.
In the event that you do not get picked up by another College consider the predicament you are leaving yourself in.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023
A player used to be able to bide her time playing behind an upperclassmen and take the job when that player graduated.
✔️👍
Now the coach is just as likely to fill that spot from the transfer portal.
IF there were eligibility guidelines college coaches may think a little more deeply about making their
*original *decisions picking up players. Because if they're just going to replace the players they *already picked up without any restrictions,
it's just shuffling players. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023
I almost think there should be a different set of rules for P5 programs vs others. It seems like the majority of kids are getting rules designed for the minority of very top players. Kids transfer for all kinds of reasons and regulating them based on what should happen for teams in the WCWS doesn’t seem to make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55