Ok but could be better

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
GBrett3000.gif

Don't be distracted by the surface.

Not sure why you selected this GIF. IMO there are many 'surface' differences between this swing and the swing of the girl.

Oct 25, 2009
Hi,

Below is a video of my DD. She's a solid lead off hitter for her team. Everything she hits is oppo. We do work alot of deep tee and she waits till the ball is on her before she goes but she couldnt pull the ball if she needs to, needless to say she struggles with inside pitches. Being lefty and lead off it usually works out going oppo.

I noticed in another thread about elbow being too tight to body and I wonder if thats what going on here. I would to see more extension but when i say more extension she lets the hands too far from body too soon.

This video shows her with the bat on her deltoid (to settle hands down) and shes already loaded with a pitch a little down and away. Not really her complete swing but its all i have of her.

If you used the deltoid swing to help prevent the hands from dropping that's fine. But she can't stay there! Now take it to the next step. Rock the U!

Also, as others have alluded to, she needs to stride. She needs to get rid of the spinning back foot, also.

My advice is to use rock the u as I've already mentioned. In addition to that she needs to practice hitting using a kick stride. The kick stride is where she brings her lead knee up to hip level and back towards the rear hip. This will help her feel the power she's not feeling with her current swing. (Because there isn't as much as she is capable of.)

In case you decide not to try that advice, at the very minimum have her stand with both feet together and then stride to hit. I call that the Babe Ruth drill because he actually hit from that position. It definitely helps a non-strider; and you gotta have stride (arguably of course).

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2012
Not sure why you selected this GIF. IMO there are many 'surface' differences between this swing and the swing of the girl.

I was saying not to be distracted by the surface differences...

The girl and George Brett are very close mechanically. She's ahead of 99% of all players. If she fixes a few surface things and stops swinging "around her body," she and Brett would look identical.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Brett_George_CF_HR_ToRF_001_SFR.gif
2d1vbly.gif

GBrett3000.gif

I see the similar load.
Sorry, I'm not seeing it that way. Can you point out the mechanical similarities.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2012
Guys,
thanks for all the input. This is kind of a partial swing for her. She is already loaded in the gif .We were working on not dropping the hands (hence the bat on the deltoid) and getting a little coiled, like what it feels like just before go time. In live pitching, she doesn't stride when the pitch is on the way but does stretch and coil. Heel plant and go. We also have been stressing bat wrap and the knob pointed at catchers feet.

I agree that she doesn't always unlock the wrist just before contact. Something else we work on.

We fix one thing then something else slips. Hitting is a craft that requires constant attention.

Jan 13, 2012
Brett_George_CF_HR_ToRF_001_SFR.gif
2d1vbly.gif

GBrett3000.gif

I see the similar load.
Sorry, I'm not seeing it that way. Can you point out the mechanical similarities.

She and Brett are stretched around the rear leg, and both of them use the barrel turn to release the resistance and cause the leg to drive. If she were striding, the similarities would be more apparent.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
She and Brett are stretched around the rear leg, and both of them use the barrel turn to release the resistance and cause the leg to drive. If she were striding, the similarities would be more apparent.

P,
I see the release of the stretch in the front hip. Looks front leg 'driven'. JMHO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan