Ok but could be better

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2012
Hi,

Below is a video of my DD. She's a solid lead off hitter for her team. Everything she hits is oppo. We do work alot of deep tee and she waits till the ball is on her before she goes but she couldnt pull the ball if she needs to, needless to say she struggles with inside pitches. Being lefty and lead off it usually works out going oppo.

I noticed in another thread about elbow being too tight to body and I wonder if thats what going on here. I would to see more extension but when i say more extension she lets the hands too far from body too soon.

This video shows her with the bat on her deltoid (to settle hands down) and shes already loaded with a pitch a little down and away. Not really her complete swing but its all i have of her.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
2d1vbly.gif

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I like that her lower body gets started first to wind the spring, and I like her suddenness. I think there might need to be an adjustment in her load and hand use. I see her pushing her hands out away from her shoulder and swinging around her body. I would prefer to see her hands get pulled up and back ("rock the U") with a tightening in the shoulder blade (scap), as her hip are turning forward. This up and back move may be facilitated better by starting with the rear elbow up a little higher.

As for everything going oppo, it appears to me (based on this one swing) that she isn't getting the bat squared up the the ball because her hands are not releasing the barrel through the ball soon enough, and at contact are moving to the right (around the body) rather than out from the rear shoulder and extending forward.

In Mig's swing, we can see the up and back load, and how he whips the barrel through the ball with the bat pivoting around his hands.
Cabrera_FB_highside_sync.gif

Jul 23, 2014
Still just learning but it looks to me like she's just spinning on the back leg. This is something I've been working with my DD on quite a bit.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Hi,

Below is a video of my DD. She's a solid lead off hitter for her team. Everything she hits is oppo. We do work alot of deep tee and she waits till the ball is on her before she goes but she couldnt pull the ball if she needs to, needless to say she struggles with inside pitches. Being lefty and lead off it usually works out going oppo.

I noticed in another thread about elbow being too tight to body and I wonder if thats what going on here. I would to see more extension but when i say more extension she lets the hands too far from body too soon.

This video shows her with the bat on her deltoid (to settle hands down) and shes already loaded with a pitch a little down and away. Not really her complete swing but its all i have of her.

There is no weight shift. Weight is back and it stays back. You are right, she just spins.
Her hands are low which promote"s a level swing with the bat.

Fix:
Her stance width looks close to being right. I would set her up balanced just like she would be in her fielding position, balanced.
Have her load and step out balanced. Top hand on bat around the top of her ear in height at set up and stride out.
When she is set up to hit, put the bat between her feet and make a mark. She should stride around the length of her bat for a starting point. Give or take a inch.

Balance at set up, balance out to toe touch with a flexed front knee. Then when she drives, her weight should shift and no more spin.
Hope this makes sense...

SL

Last edited:
May 29, 2013
I'd like to see her hit a live pitch. Watch her front arm in the gif in post #4. See how her front elbow wraps around her belly? Now scroll down to post #6 and watch the gif of mr. Cabrera. Watch what his front arm does. See the difference? Now show them to your dd and ask her to try that with her front arm/elbow.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan