Numbers and Solutions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2015
You're telling me. I even said that. Teenage girls it goes in one ear and out the other, or what I call "Leave It To Beaver" Syndrome. Maybe that's a reference a bit too long-in-the-tooth for this 27 year old, but old school is cool in my eyes. :cool:

Jun 21, 2012
I suggest this...
Explain to the player that Softball is a team sport, and that she is playing for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back. Therefore, having a number decide the outcome of your play means that you haven't grasped the true intent of Softball, and that is victory through team effort. The uniform number's purpose is to identify a player to the officials.

College coaches don't come to see a number play, they come to see a player. Coaches, both team and college, and parents, will know and remember you by your name, not by the number you wore. Again, play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

Feb 15, 2016
I don't get the # thing... I really just don't get it. I understand if you like a certain number but sometimes that number isn't available.

Jun 1, 2015
I don't get the # thing... I really just don't get it. I understand if you like a certain number but sometimes that number isn't available.

I told this player that I understood what she was saying. When I played basketball, I was always #51 (I was the tallest player, so I always chose the biggest number), and that was partially due to me wanting to be as close to the number of my favorite player, #50 - David Robinson. My Junior year, my HS got new uniforms for varsity and the highest was #44 - I stayed and played because a number didn't make my ability. My ability made my ability, and I've tried explaining that to her, but got the standard "whatever" response. I'm letting it rest until March/April and then I'll evaluate things from there.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
gdc - Based on what I understand from your posts, you have already established a guideline for the team regarding uniform number priority. As I see it - and as others have already said - if "D" is willing to not play just because she didn't get her preferred number, you're better off without her. That's a diva attitude that you don't want in your dugout.

Jun 1, 2015
It's a rather tricky situation. I just wanted to gauge some initial ideas and see what others have had with experiences like this. Like I said previously, I'm going to wait until March/April or so when I have my introduction meeting to see what she plans to do then. She'll get her #11 back for Varsity softball this year, and if she wants to debate the issue further, we'll see what happens then.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
At this point I would give the girl who is returning after taking a year off and give her a list of available numbers and tell her it's time to either pick a new number or move on.

Nov 18, 2013
It's a rather tricky situation. I just wanted to gauge some initial ideas and see what others have had with experiences like this. Like I said previously, I'm going to wait until March/April or so when I have my introduction meeting to see what she plans to do then. She'll get her #11 back for Varsity softball this year, and if she wants to debate the issue further, we'll see what happens then.

Why not tell her now? With such a small team you're creating a situation where you're forced to give in to her. You need to know asap if you should find a starting SS. It's not fair to all the other girls for you to wait and possibly end up not having enough players because you chose to cater to one girl.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad