Numbers and Solutions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Can you peel one of the 1's off of #11 and make it a #1? You could also keep some white coaches tape handy, if an umpire questions having two #11's make one of their jerseys into #17 by adding some tape at the top of the 1.

Nov 29, 2009
Not even "another team" in this case, because we're the only team in this town that plays in this league. So it'd basically be another team or nothing, and granted sure, she could argue she doesn't have to play, and she's fully within her right to do so, but she'd definitely face a lot of backlash for starting, then stopping, then starting again, then stopping again all because she couldn't get her number/way when she rightfully knows she lost that chance and is pissy over it. Welcome to the real world - get used to it.

Honestly, I think you'd be better off telling her see ya later. If she does decide to play, you now have an instant malcontent on the team. Malcontents almost always turn into cancers. Especially among teenage girls. She can make life very difficult for the girl who has "her" number. If the malcontent is socially skilled they have a way of turning an entire team against another player.

Jun 1, 2015
Can you peel one of the 1's off of #11 and make it a #1? You could also keep some white coaches tape handy, if an umpire questions having two #11's make one of their jerseys into #17 by adding some tape at the top of the 1.

Negative for 2 reasons. a.) The uniforms are screen-printed and b.) We already have a #1. 10 or 17 could work though

Honestly, I think you'd be better off telling her see ya later. If she does decide to play, you now have an instant malcontent on the team. Malcontents almost always turn into cancers. Especially among teenage girls. She can make life very difficult for the girl who has "her" number. If the malcontent is socially skilled they have a way of turning an entire team against another player.

I do think it is worth a negotiate but once decision made it is over, do not want to hear about it again.

The issue I have here is that I've known this girl going back to when she played little league softball for her dad and I was an umpire (as he and I continue to do). She's not always like this, truthfully. I don't stick up for her, and I call her out when she's being a prima donna, and it's rather mind-boggling that she'd be so confrontation about a number. She also knows what I've said before - I want her on my team but do not need her if her attitude will keep up.

When we spoke about this on Saturday, these were her exact words (messages) to me about the matter: "I don't know what to say. I get that I'm being a little b*tch about it. But it's not just a number to me. Its been with me through my whole journey of finding myself as an athlete. I played more cumulative time on your teams than she has. I get she played the full season so she's more "committed" or whatever. But I just don't know right now"

Draw your own conclusions. Add on the fact she later told me she's disgruntled because she couldn't be #11 for Varsity Basketball this current season as well.

Jun 1, 2015
Hopefully this is just being dragged out on this board and you are not actually going back and forth with her about this.

If she is not going to play because she can't get her number back good riddance.

I haven't discussed anything with her since Saturday when I mentioned it to her. I figured let cooler heads prevail (come April or so). If she chooses to leave, she chooses to leave. Right now I have about 7/8 returning, and I know of at least 2-3 trying out, etc. We'll work with what we have which is what I've always done. I don't expect talent or an all-star team - there's no reason to coach if so. I'd rather make/mold players than have things handed to me.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
One of my favorite quotes is, "Treat all teenagers like they are outpatients from a mental clinic."

This does make outpatients from mental clinics sound worse than they are, but...

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
When we spoke about this on Saturday, these were her exact words (messages) to me about the matter: "I don't know what to say. I get that I'm being a little b*tch about it. But it's not just a number to me. Its been with me through my whole journey of finding myself as an athlete. I played more cumulative time on your teams than she has. I get she played the full season so she's more "committed" or whatever. But I just don't know right now"

I usually come off as a little harsh with my DD and her teammates (18U), and my wife says I need more of a filter, but my response would have been "tough $%#$, suck it up buttercup"...

Jul 2, 2013
She's going to have to get used to not getting her number at some point. The first team DD played on at 10U was a new team so they let all of the girls pick numbers. DD and two other girls all wanted 5. They decided to do rock-paper-scissors. DD lost. She was upset and decided 3 was her next pick. Another girl wanted it also so RPS again. DD lost. She wasn't very happy but ended up with 6. The next team DD played on was already established and just gave her a uniform without asking. She got 23 but never complained. This year she joined another already established team and asked for 5. Already taken. 6? Already taken. She ended up with 13. Who knows what she will end up with in high school.

Like you mentioned she didn't get it for basketball. Maybe you could see what number she got for basketball and she would go with that. Start a new tradition.

Oct 13, 2014
Metro ATL
I usually come off as a little harsh with my DD and her teammates (18U), and my wife says I need more of a filter, but my response would have been "tough $%#$, suck it up buttercup"...

This - a thousand times this....could be why I needed to step away from coaching! :rolleyes:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00