Need help with what I think is "casting"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Nope, but at least I teach! That topic as RHC and many others have posted is up for debate! It's one of many tools. Amy just posted the chuck it. That tool can also be used with a young kid. It's up to the instructor to understand how or what may help at 12 year old kid understand what the heck you are saying. Most of us are not working with a MLB player or even in most cases a talented softball player.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Political and financial? Come on FFS What the heck financial do any of us that use the Whip hit gain from it. You promote the insider bat do you receive Financial gain from it? Truly amazing that the one complaining of political pandering is the only one on this thread that is acting political. Looks like its about time for another good thread to get locked down because of ax grinding.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
FFS I won't get into that debate. I think anyone that comes on here should at least explain who taught them , or did they just get it from books. There is a big difference .
I don't claim to be an expert, but at least I have worked with many that are successful hitting instructors.

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
Yes, sadly! As in very sad.

Casting is common in batters that have a poor weight shift.

One of the major issues with the WhipHit instrument is that it can be used to promote what is stated in the WhipHit manual … which is the initiation of the swing by shoving the hands forward.

In the demonstration below the user is doing as the manual instructs ... notice the initiation of the swing by shoving the hands forward.

I understand that certain parties wish to promote the product for political & financial reasons … but the truth is that what they are promoting is hurtful to swing development. It is simply bad instruction.

The truth is that you have a completly different philosophy and bash aspects of a much more respected philosophy and can't admit it. I'm sure it's nice to hear yourself in this echo chamber, but causing confusion for a parent whose child is obviously utilizing the philosophy you don't like isn't helpful.

The whip hit doesn't work for you because you don't teach that style. Linear hands inside is nothing new. It was a tool just to help feel the pop of that style.

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
What you just acknowledged that you don't teach is what the product claims to support ... and it is a swing killer.

That is exactly what I teach. It is most certainly a swing killer. I don't want a swinger. I want a driver. A swinger is casting their hands in an arc and swinging the bat through. A driver drives the hands to contact and pops the ball

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The truth is that you have a completly different philosophy and bash aspects of a much more respected philosophy and can't admit it. I'm sure it's nice to hear yourself in this echo chamber, but causing confusion for a parent whose child is obviously utilizing the philosophy you don't like isn't helpful.

The whip hit doesn't work for you because you don't teach that style. Linear hands inside is nothing new. It was a tool just to help feel the pop of that style.

What confusion? I'm being quite clear. The following documented information for the WhipHit instrument is bad advice.

To begin the swing allow the lead arm elbow to move on a linear path with the elbow making a direct move forward about 3 to 4 inches. Your hand should follow the elbow forward

As your elbow moves forward it will draw your hands through and the WhipHit ball on the end of the rope will “whip” towards the tee.

Use both hands and maintain the forward elbow move to whip the ball through the swing.

start your swing by pulling your lead arm elbow forward so it pulls the ball out of your back hand and hits the ball off the tee.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
That is exactly what I teach. It is most certainly a swing killer. I don't want a swinger. I want a driver. A swinger is casting their hands in an arc and swinging the bat through. A driver drives the hands to contact and pops the ball

This, IMO, is a poor way to initiate a swing.

2uzw7ds.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FFS I won't get into that debate. I think anyone that comes on here should at least explain who taught them , or did they just get it from books. There is a big difference .
I don't claim to be an expert, but at least I have worked with many that are successful hitting instructors.

I'm not seeing what we would have to debate on the topic. You have already acknowledged that you don't teach what the product claims to promote. I was personally pleased to read that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug