Need help with what I think is "casting"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Slaught leaves behind a far better offensive club than when he took over. The Tigers finished ninth among American League teams in batting average As the hitting coach for Detroit. He only left to work on his business RVP and spend time for his kids. Hew hit over 300 four times as a catcher and one year he hit 345 as a MLB. I guess he doesn't know how to hit! Someone on the internet should have shown him!

We've already shown that the first sentence isn't correct ... so let's move on to your second sentence.

Wow!! That's impressive. The team finished 9th in the American League in 2006 in terms of BA.

But wait … how many American League teams where there in 2006?

Hmmm … the answer … 14.

Yes, the team finished 9th out of 14 teams. Last I checked, finishing 9th out of 14 is below average.

I noticed you used the term ‘better’ in your first sentence. The implication is that you like to look at relative improvements … or lack thereof. So let’s go ahead and look at the prior year.

In 2005, the year before Don Slaught’s arrival, the Detroit Tigers finished 4th out of the 14 American League teams in terms of BA.

Hmmm … the team dropped from 4th to 9th when Don arrived. What is with that?

Maybe that was a fluke.

Just for the heck of it, let’s look at the year after Don left the organization.

In 2007, the year after Don Slaught left, the Detroit Tigers finished 2nd out of 14 American League teams in terms of BA.

What??? Not only did the team drop from 4th to 9th when Don Slaught arrived on the scene, but immediately after he departs the team skyrockets from 9th to 2nd.

These are facts.

Is this really your argument supporting the jamming forward of the lead elbow 3-inches to start the swing?

You want people to believe that someone that came on board and saw a team’s relative performance nosedive, and then skyrocket when he left, is the reason that people should jab their lead elbow forward 3-inches to start their swing? That’s the argument?

Honestly … I don’t care about Don’s performance as a coach. The Hanson Principle simply doesn’t give it any credence, and neither do I. So let’s drop the Don Slaught this, and Don Slaught that mentality … and instead post supporting evidence for the notion of starting the swing with a 3-inch jab forward of the lead elbow.

So ... where is this supporting evidence? A dozen or so video clips of the best hitters performing this act would be nice. Think in terms of the Hanson Principle.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse