Need help with what I think is "casting"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
DerekJeter_CLow_001_SF.gif

Derek Jeter close to 'knob to the ball' swing.
PushDisconnection_Overhead_001_R.gif

Hands to the ball.
OzzieSmith_CF_HR_ToRF_001_SF.gif

Ozzie Smith
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
or that
CCabrera.gif

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
: If you are hitting your back you are probably rolling your wrists at contact and not getting to extension. Take your top hand and turn it upside down and as you hit the ball let the top hand open and pull the bat through to extension and you will finish high.

After becoming more comfortable with the device use both hands and if you are finishing correctly you won’t hit yourself!

Now soft toss using the device and you will be amazed at what you can do and when you use your normal bat it is even easier! In our opinion there is not another tool that promotes keeping the hands inside the ball as much as the WhipHit does!
From the person that designed it. That person now has nothing to do with Mike who is shown trying to demo it. What I highlighted is what I use it for. Others may use it for other reasons. My dd uses it as a warm up device and hits regular softalls tossed to her. She likes it to work on her eye hand tracking.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
FFS that is the problem with taking a demo of a device without using the device. I agree. It kind of like those that don't swing a bat trying to explain a drill. Any tool can be taken out of context. Amy's demo of the Dog toy that throws a tennis ball could be looked at as a bad tool. A swing has many parts. You only use a tool to fix one part of a swing. It's kind of like building a house. I'm on the roof i'm taking up a hammer, not by concrete tools that I just used on the foundation. It's up to the hitting instructor to pick one that fits the students issues. I use the hands over drill that redhotcoach posted with most young kids. I use the bat jack with alll young girls to fix grip. You have posted some very good pictures on grip. I even have a concrete block and a wooden platform for the back foot as tools. The platform idea I stole from Don Slaught. I have found out that keeping an open mind and picking up ideas from others , then testing them work best for my students.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FFS that is the problem with taking a demo of a device without using the device. I agree. It kind of like those that don't swing a bat trying to explain a drill. Any tool can be taken out of context. Amy's demo of the Dog toy that throws a tennis ball could be looked at as a bad tool. A swing has many parts. You only use a tool to fix one part of a swing. It's kind of like building a house. I'm on the roof i'm taking up a hammer, not by concrete tools that I just used on the foundation. It's up to the hitting instructor to pick one that fits the students issues. I use the hands over drill that redhotcoach posted with most young kids. I use the bat jack with alll young girls to fix grip. You have posted some very good pictures on grip. I even have a concrete block and a wooden platform for the back foot as tools. The platform idea I stole from Don Slaught. I have found out that keeping an open mind and picking up ideas from others , then testing them work best for my students.

The swing being demonstrated is following the directions included with the WhipHit manual. It is not being taken out of context.

From the WhipHit manual ...

To begin the swing allow the lead arm elbow to move on a linear path with the elbow making a direct move forward about 3 to 4 inches. Your hand should follow the elbow forward

As your elbow moves forward it will draw your hands through and the WhipHit ball on the end of the rope will “whip” towards the tee.

Use both hands and maintain the forward elbow move to whip the ball through the swing.

start your swing by pulling your lead arm elbow forward so it pulls the ball out of your back hand and hits the ball off the tee.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Just a dumb question have you used one? I have yet found a hitting instructor that after using it didn't like it, but you could be the first! Boulderdad's uses it probably more than anyone I know and has many success stories from his hitting school. If he can post Britt using one, I think you might change your mind.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Just a dumb question have you used one? I have yet found a hitting instructor that after using it didn't like it, but you could be the first! Boulderdad's uses it probably more than anyone I know and has many success stories from his hitting school. If he can post Britt using one, I think you might change your mind.

He posted this WhipIt demonstration of Britt earlier .... and it didn't change my mind.

j6k0fs.gif

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I guess that is our answer you have never used one! Sometimes you have to use a bat or a device , not just a video, to understand how it works! RHC is correct on this debate!