Need help with what I think is "casting"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
DD has a tendency to throw hands out in front in first part of swing, and then has to pull them back in to make contact. She said it's called casting. I don't think this is something she has always done, but it is a glaring issue these last few weeks. What drills can she work on to fix this? I thought that tee drills with hitting ball with fob of bat would help but she says that isn't working. We have hitting practice tonight, so I know she will want to work hard on this.

Because of this, pitchers love to jam her.
if it's something new, it might be as simple as reminder her to be compact and quick. She might be trying to power swing in her head, which you end up doing the opposite to yourself

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Driving the knob or driving the hands to the ball is the very opposite of casting and is what the whip hit bat was designed for. Arms extend at contact to generate pop

The reason some explain to a hitter to drive the knob in a straight path to the ball is so that they are not rotating the bat and sweeping. The vision clicks for some.

No drills will help until the batter understands what the path their hands need to take and why and then what that feels like by simply popping a ball off a Tee while being sure that other parts of the mechanics are not be alterd to focus on hand path

Sadly, it may be true that those using the WhipHit instrument attempt to initiate the swing by driving their hands forward.

From the WhipHit manual ...

To begin the swing allow the lead arm elbow to move on a linear path with the elbow making a direct move forward about 3 to 4 inches. Your hand should follow the elbow forward

As your elbow moves forward it will draw your hands through and the WhipHit ball on the end of the rope will “whip” towards the tee.

Use both hands and maintain the forward elbow move to whip the ball through the swing.

start your swing by pulling your lead arm elbow forward so it pulls the ball out of your back hand and hits the ball off the tee.

Now, if casting truly is the issue, then understand that casting is an issue that is common in batters that have poor weight shift. Look there first ... and avoid the nonsense of initiating the swing by throwing the hands forward.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Why I like the whip hit. It will id this right away as a swing flaw. bouldersdad uses it will all hitting students.

SB
When I got my whip hit I used it because it shows instant feedback on how you release the bat head.
A casting swing the balls normally go left because you are hitting across the ball.
You also cant use it with a level swing, the ball will hit you in the back
If you short arm and and dont extend the ball will hit you in the head...wear a helmet.

Anyway I use the whiphit for working on the release.
SB. Any body that gives hitting lessons with some common sense, and use's the hanson principle will see the value in this hitting aid.

Straightleg

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Thanks all! And yes, I meant knob...not sure what I was thinking. She had hitting last night and did a lot of stop bat drills, and was hitting line drives off of front toss pitch. She felt more confident. We won't know until possibly Father's Day weekend when she will pick up with another team...she's taking a week off for school trip to Washington DC. And what is this Whip Hit?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Maksoftball, congratulations on the improvement.

Anyone that applies the Hanson Principle knows the danger of using the WhipHit instrument as described in the WhipHit manual.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
Sadly, it may be true that those using the WhipHit instrument attempt to initiate the swing by driving their hands forward.

From the WhipHit manual ...

To begin the swing allow the lead arm elbow to move on a linear path with the elbow making a direct move forward about 3 to 4 inches. Your hand should follow the elbow forward

As your elbow moves forward it will draw your hands through and the WhipHit ball on the end of the rope will “whip” towards the tee.

Use both hands and maintain the forward elbow move to whip the ball through the swing.

start your swing by pulling your lead arm elbow forward so it pulls the ball out of your back hand and hits the ball off the tee.

Now, if casting truly is the issue, then understand that casting is an issue that is common in batters that have poor weight shift. Look there first ... and avoid the nonsense of initiating the swing by throwing the hands forward.

Sadly?

A switch to casting has little to do with weight shift. Weight shift is usually a byproduct of the same issue that's causing casting to begin with for a batter who has always had that issue. If it's a new issue it can be related to simple things that are not mechanical in nature. Such as lowered confidence, trying to hard for a power swing or a mechanical thing such as a coach screwing the batter up with somrthing like making them point the knob to the catcher upon load.

There is nothing wrong with the description if you understand swing mechanics, put the words in context (I've never read the manual) and visualize the goal instead of attempt to pick apart the semantics

For those that don't understand, when she said it's called casting is simply usually means "swinging". Sweeping the bat. The hands move in an arc around the body and away from the body. Most good hitting instructors teach a compact drive to contact. The hands and knob move almost on a linear path close to the body. As the torso rotates the front arm gets extension and the bat is snapped at the ball. This is driving the hands to the ball or driving the knob to the ball. It's using a tangent concept whereas casting is part of a circumferential concept

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Sadly?

A switch to casting has little to do with weight shift. Weight shift is usually a byproduct of the same issue that's causing casting to begin with for a batter who has always had that issue. If it's a new issue it can be related to simple things that are not mechanical in nature. Such as lowered confidence, trying to hard for a power swing or a mechanical thing such as a coach screwing the batter up with somrthing like making them point the knob to the catcher upon load.

There is nothing wrong with the description if you understand swing mechanics, put the words in context (I've never read the manual) and visualize the goal instead of attempt to pick apart the semantics

For those that don't understand, when she said it's called casting is simply usually means "swinging". Sweeping the bat. The hands move in an arc around the body and away from the body. Most good hitting instructors teach a compact drive to contact. The hands and knob move almost on a linear path close to the body. As the torso rotates the front arm gets extension and the bat is snapped at the ball. This is driving the hands to the ball or driving the knob to the ball. It's using a tangent concept whereas casting is part of a circumferential concept

Yes, sadly! As in very sad.

Casting is common in batters that have a poor weight shift.

One of the major issues with the WhipHit instrument is that it can be used to promote what is stated in the WhipHit manual … which is the initiation of the swing by shoving the hands forward.

In the demonstration below the user is doing as the manual instructs ... notice the initiation of the swing by shoving the hands forward.

I understand that certain parties wish to promote the product for political & financial reasons … but the truth is that what they are promoting is hurtful to swing development. It is simply bad instruction.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
straightleg. The first move device you posted is just one of many tools along with the whip hit that help train hitters. rdbass thanks for the post. Dave is a very good hitting coach that I have had the pleasure to work with and my dd enjoyed his lessons. FFS only one person has any Financial stake in the whip hit. That person has never posted on this site, so not sure why you would make such a claim. Bastain is the only one that has anything to do with the whip hit. Just as info, Bustos won't use one, but that is a long story, so as normal you don't know what you are talking about. Those that have used it along with other tools , know it is only as good as the instructor.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse