More Catching lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2013
Seymour, In
Not wanting to hijack a different catching lesson thread, is anyone aware of any catching coaches/instructors in Indiana or to tighten up the location, around southern Indiana( we are in Seymour)? Daughter started catching in 8u and is in the first year of 10u now. Still struggling on getting her to start blocking the ball and I want to try to get good mechanics in her brain before the bad ones try to take over.

DVD has been ordered and should be here soon I hope.

Thanks!

May 1, 2011
Ronnie,

On the blocking front...BE PATIENT. We're still struggling a little bit with it, but to get them to willingly throw their body in front of a moving object takes time. You're definately taking the right approach by trying to get a sound foundation mechanically. Just keep plugging away. I know I missed a few tourneys in a row due to work, and when I finally got back out there, the little girl that had been two hopping the ball to second on attempted steals was all of a sudden throwing laser beams down there and gunning girls down. You're not going to really notice the small changes right away. Keep encouraging her. There are gonna be pass balls that result in losses, and she might get a little down on herself. In a way, that's a good thing. It will make her mentally tougher, and it also shows that she cares. Tell her to remember three things:

That is HER plate.
She is the Field General.
Bumps and bruises are nothing more than badges of honor. Wear them proudly.

Keep us posted on her progress.

Josh

May 7, 2013
Seymour, In
I appreciate the response. We are working on it as much as we can. There has been a lot of changes for her this year. Moving up from 8U to 10U, gives her pitchers that can throw a variety of pitches. She takes signs from their dads and then she gives the sign to the pitcher. Then has to try to remember what the pitch is and how to setup for it. She has never done that before. She also has to deal with the stealing now. She is getting better at jumping up and making throws to second and third. Have to keep reminding her to catch the ball first. Sometimes she can get a little to quick and try to make a throw before she gets the ball if you know what I mean. She is also having to watch for the bunts as well. Lots of changes for her to deal with and I think she is doing a pretty good job accepting them. Lots of stuff to absorb into their minds that is for sure.

Thanks again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd