Mizzou's Paige Lowery just got hit by a line drive.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
It looks like that study was completed in 2005, I wonder where the 2016 bats would fall on that chart.

Believe most of the 2016 composite bats come in near the upper spec.

IMO wood is less forgiving and requires greater precision to consistently produce hard-hit balls.

Big difference between swinging a -10 composite bat and a -2/3 maple/ash bat.

Feb 17, 2014
That will get the tree huggers knotted up. :) While the sweet spots are significantly bigger with the composites, they are no hotter than a quality wood bat. To me changing the ball seems to make more sense.

NSA did this last year. What happened? Everyone quit playing NSA.

Dec 7, 2011
Is this the same girl who got put down hard last year? (that the de ja vu part?)

I guess she was thinking lightning can't hit the same spot twice - wrong.

Feb 17, 2014
The problem was they did not really change the ball. Just swapped it out for a SP ball. It was so bouncy it was like a rubber super-ball on a gravel driveway.

Right, but they did it for safety reasons... if you ask them. You talk to certain people and they will even tell you "Injuries are down X% since we went to the safer ball." Yeah? Is that because injuries really went down or less teams are playing your program thus resulting in less injuries. I know NSA took a huge hit in Indiana last year and a lot of the good teams say it is because they went to the softer ball and it leveled the playing field.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Epic fail. They went back to the old ball. It was fine for the younger ages but in 14U and up not so much. Kids need to learn to play defense, not leave it fat and if the want they can wear a mask. Obviously the stigma is a non-factor so no more excuses. :)

It was an epic fail in lower age groups as well. The ball didn't travel as far so all the coaches just moved their fielders closer to the batter to compensate removing any perceived safety advantage.

Smart 8U teams had no outfielders - coaches just moved them all to the infield.

We were playing 12U-A. For all but the biggest hitters our outfielders were close enough to be considered deep infielders. It was stupid. You couldn't bunt because the infield was ALWAYS in. It was a total joke and we stopped playing NSA because of it (there were other reasons as well, but this was a major one)

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2013
She was not the only MU player to be hit in the face this weekend. Natalie Fleming fouled a ball off into her face earlier in the tournament. No mask on their batting helmets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321