Middle School Tryout – 1st Tryout

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Next week is going to be the 1st time DD is trying out for anything; she expects to make the Team. DW encourages this thought.

DD has practiced once in 2 months and has played in 4 games. She has not picked up a ball in weeks.

Even from only her own Team this year I know of at least 2 Players that are going to try out, that I think the coaches are going to perceive are better than DD. They are not; I do not think DW or DD get this part. I am guessing the MS coaches are not calling around for references.

1 set of parents annoy me because they know in a limited try out their DD comes off better then my DD, be interesting if their DD makes it and ours does not.

Who knows how many Players are trying out and their backgrounds are?

With DD’s base and ability she is probably still going to make the Team, not sure if that is good or bad.

It should be interesting.

Oct 31, 2010
My DD will be trying out for her MS team this year. Their tryouts aren't until October though so we have some time. DD thinks she will make it and I hope she does, I have heard good things about the coach and I want her to play for him.

Jul 26, 2010
Have her go to a travel ball tryout or two, they should be taking place for fall ball starting in two weeks considering the schedule for nationals. That might open her eyes a little bit and light a fire, even if there is no intent to actually play travel ball.

-W

Jun 26, 2010
We don't have middle school softball here, but DD is going to be a freshman and will try out for one of the JV teams. Coaches have been holding camps weekly for those interested. She's gone to one and of course this week we got rained out.

Jan 4, 2010
Middle School Softball here is not all that competitive or serious. The competition is very weak. My daughter tried out for her MS team after playing travel for years. She was a little disappointed in the competition. We do not hold tryouts here until the spring. But the HS coaches are very different. We have a freshman, JV and Varsity team. My daughter played MS ball last year as an 8th grader, due to the fact she didn't attend the public school in 7th grade. This past season she tried out at the high school level and made JV. Much more competitive as far as coaching goes, but the level of play was alot lower than what she is accustomed to in Travel/Tournament ball.

She attends a larger public high school, so her making JV was an accomplishment and being a pitcher, they pulled her up for a few non-league games when the school's ace pitcher had an injurty.

I was very proud of her and so glad we are past the MS ball.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
We have no MS softball in our district, but the next district over does. DD gets jealous of hearing others on team talk about their MS games. She can't wait for HS ball!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My kid's MS softball/baseball was very serious (central IL.). If you didn't make that, chances were slim of you making the team ever, in HS.

Why hasn't she picked up a ball in weeks? Does she want to play? My DD and sons were in every day, full force by this time, in IL.

Feb 13, 2010
North Louisiana
Our middle school coach was assigned the position and not very qualified. She brought in someone to help who had played college or high school softball but does not coach or participate in travel. At the tryout there were several girls who made the team that I KNEW from watching them in rec ball (and some travel) that they were not nearly as good as their tryout. They made the team, then sat the bench because they could not perform in a game situation. I call those types "teasers", because as a coach you see something you like and think you can make something miraculous happen. Then, reality kicks in and you realize you left better, more experienced ballplayers behind. Who knows, maybe the light will come on this year.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
I wish we had MS softball where I am at...

Sometimes I wish we didn't have MS softball around here. It is played in the fall and is not very competitive at all. Heck, we won the county championship with 90% 7th graders. The league has 11 teams and I remember 4 teams who actually had no pitcher so they used slow pitch pitchers. And the games are played in the fall. This hurt my DGD because she is in the 8th grade and will be playing either 14u or 16u ball in the spring. The high schools play in the spring so all her TB teammates will get all the practice and game experience which she will not get until late May when TB starts up. In this state, MSers cannot move up to play HS ball.

Oh, well, at least she has a good time with her school friends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish