Making the Move to 10u! Finally!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 26, 2019
What is it with parent coaches that play their DD at SS or 2B, the Ac's daughter has the otber spot, with both girls hitting 1, 2 or 3 in the line up?

I did not know this was such a widespread situation.

Apr 20, 2015
Not always. My kiddo plays up a year and my husband coaches...she plays outfield. We can't get past the walks per inning thing so we lose alot!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

May 6, 2015
and as for 2B, this is the designated spot to hide a weak defensive player but still have them in the infield at the younger ages (hides lack of arm strength). I did this too in rec coach pitch (not for my DD, but to rotate players to get some infield time for eveyrone)

Oct 2, 2017
Many parent coaches are no different than many other non-coaching parents..they don't have an objective view of their kid's skills/ability...
I'm a Coach on DD's team. I do notand Will Not put in her in a certain dedicated position. I've told her that from Day 1 of me starting to Coach as a assistant. I said you will play were ever the main coach tells you. A large amount of time that's outfield, because she is fast and able to keep the ball in front pretty well. But some infield time here and there. I have no rose colored glasses about her skill set. Fielding or hitting

Jun 8, 2016
I'm a Coach on DD's team. I do notand Will Not put in her in a certain dedicated position. I've told her that from Day 1 of me starting to Coach as a assistant. I said you will play were ever the main coach tells you. A large amount of time that's outfield, because she is fast and able to keep the ball in front pretty well. But some infield time here and there.
Yeah I said many, not all. If I was the HC Marcela would probably be on the bench half the time but I am "overly objective" at times (ok most of the time)... :LOL:

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
and as for 2B, this is the designated spot to hide a weak defensive player but still have them in the infield at the younger ages (hides lack of arm strength). I did this too in rec coach pitch (not for my DD, but to rotate players to get some infield time for eveyrone)
IMO, at first year 10u, with generally faster pitching than what the hitters were use to with coach mistakenly throwing with too slow with too much arc trying to let the girls hit the ball , 3rd base is the hiding spot. 2nd base is the hot spot. Also at first year 10u, the 1st baseman must be one of your better athletes. Outs are hard to come by and it is vital that the 1st baseman catch the ball. Don't just put the tallest girl at first.

Aug 17, 2019
IMO, at first year 10u, with generally faster pitching than what the hitters were use to with coach mistakenly throwing with too slow with too much arc trying to let the girls hit the ball , 3rd base is the hiding spot. 2nd base is the hot spot. Also at first year 10u, the 1st baseman must be one of your better athletes. Outs are hard to come by and it is vital that the 1st baseman catch the ball. Don't just put the tallest girl at first.

and the best outfielder should be in RF

Jul 14, 2019
Well, we hide our weakest 2 alternating at right field, weakest infielder/player in general who still catches a ball like a football (glove sunny side up) at second. And we also, get ready, alter the plays to accommodate for that weakness instead of addressing the weakness. So, for example, force out at second, and less than 2 outs, we’ll throw the ball to first and let the lead runner score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
What is it with parent coaches that play their DD at SS or 2B, the Ac's daughter has the otber spot, with both girls hitting 1, 2 or 3 in the line up?

I did not know this was such a widespread situation.

Well, that only really happens if their daughters aren't pitchers. :D

Yes, oftentimes the parents who coach put their kids at key positions and bat them at the top of the order. However, often the parents who coach do have the best girls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad