Loyalty...it is a two way street

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 14, 2015
Daddy ball seems to be the rule...at least from my observation. I would love to be proven wrong.

You will be proven wrong when you play on a team where the coaches do not have a daughter on the team. Otherwise the coach giving his/her daughter some extra benefits or preferred playing time is human nature and part of the coaches private agenda, it's very hard not to do that. I'm not mad they do it, heck I did it to a degree when I coached. Everyone needs to understand that ddball does happen, accept it, and coaches shouldn't deny it because it makes them look foolish when they do. We're all adults here so you're not fooling anyone.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
You will be proven wrong when you play on a team where the coaches do not have a daughter on the team. Otherwise the coach giving his/her daughter some extra benefits or preferred playing time is human nature and part of the coaches private agenda, it's very hard not to do that. I'm not mad they do it, heck I did it to a degree when I coached. Everyone needs to understand that ddball does happen, accept it, and coaches shouldn't deny it because it makes them look foolish when they do. We're all adults here so you're not fooling anyone.

I am always baffled by this comment when I see it. I guess it must be a regional thing. From my experience, I have never seen a rec team (in any sport) that was not coached by the parent of a player. At least 80% of the travel ball teams in my area (baseball, softball, and soccer) have coaches that are the parent of a player. Actually, making a quick list of 10 local high schools that I am familiar with, 6 of them have either head coaches or assistant coaches of players on the team. Where exactly are all these teams that are not coached by parents?

Jan 14, 2015
I am always baffled by this comment when I see it. I guess it must be a regional thing. From my experience, I have never seen a rec team (in any sport) that was not coached by the parent of a player. At least 80% of the travel ball teams in my area (baseball, softball, and soccer) have coaches that are the parent of a player. Actually, making a quick list of 10 local high schools that I am familiar with, 6 of them have either head coaches or assistant coaches of players on the team. Where exactly are all these teams that are not coached by parents?

I agree every rec team has a parent coaching. I never said otherwise. I will also agree that younger travel ball teams have parent coaches. I never said otherwise. But as you get older, many, not all, but many older travel ball teams will not allow parents to coach and I speak from experience.

My point to the original poster was that when you reach a team like this with no parent coaches you will be proven wrong about nepotism and daddy ball. Until then, during all the rec years you will of course have a parent coaching and will have to accept the fact that some preferences will be given to the coaches daughters. And in their defense they are the ones volunteering so a little fringe benefit of having his daughter bat leadoff or start every game at 3rd base is nothing to get all bent out of shape over.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree every rec team has a parent coaching. I never said otherwise. I will also agree that younger travel ball teams have parent coaches. I never said otherwise. But as you get older, many, not all, but many older travel ball teams will not allow parents to coach and I speak from experience.

My point to the original poster was that when you reach a team like this with no parent coaches you will be proven wrong about nepotism and daddy ball. Until then, during all the rec years you will of course have a parent coaching and will have to accept the fact that some preferences will be given to the coaches daughters. And in their defense they are the ones volunteering so a little fringe benefit of having his daughter bat leadoff or start every game at 3rd base is nothing to get all bent out of shape over.

I wasn't arguing with you. Merely stating that what you have seen from your experience is not common where I live, regardless of age. I agree with everything else in your post and that is why I only bolded one sentence for discussion.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I think a kid is more likely to be loyal if she respects the coach and feels she is being treated fairly.
DD #1 and #3 were both the type who would never miss practice, often the first to practice, and give 100% every practice and every inning of every game.
One coach told me he discovered his email was broken when DD 3 missed a practice. He coached her 3 times and that was the only one she missed.
These days DD 3 is on both a rec team and a TB team. All the adults are trying to convince her not to quit the rec team mid season, and I offer to come up with an excuse for her to miss practice if she works on her pitching. She has issues with her coaches, and she is mostly right.
OTOH, she hates the thought of missing a TB practice.

Jan 14, 2015
I wasn't arguing with you. Merely stating that what you have seen from your experience is not common where I live, regardless of age. I agree with everything else in your post and that is why I only bolded one sentence for discussion.

I'm sorry and I apologize, I took it the wrong way.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

"Daddy Ball" is not limited to just daddies.....if a coach gives paid lessons (batting, pitching, fielding, speed & agility, ect) there is a good chance the players who pay for lessons will be given similar "benefits".

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

While most would love to have an impartial coach for their DD's team, the bottom line is paid coaches are EXPENSIVE! Not only do you have to pay them for their time and effort, but the travel expenses - hotel, meals, mileage, ect, really add up. Volleyball is a good example of a sport that has a lot of paid coaches and high level travel volleyball is VERY EXPENSIVE compared to travel travel softball.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Soccer is like that around here. A friend of mine made more money coaching club soccer than he did HS soccer, but he liked the HS environment better.
Club rowing coaches get paid here as well, and when DS was on a HS rowing club it was expensive. Those positions are hard to get. Coaches often have to volunteer for a while until a paid position comes up. One volunteer coach had two Olympic medals.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles