Loyalty...it is a two way street

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I kept the books for the team and knew the stats. Also, I knew who made the most errors but they never sat the bench. Why? Because the coach had faith in those kids ability. They were given chances and opportunities to get better. I have no problem with that...the problem is when some players are not given the chance to make errors and learn from those errors.

I have been watching a lot of college softball lately, and even players in the WCWS can make errors on routine plays. I do not know how other coaches do it, but for our team playing time is earned in practice, not during the games. In games we are "playing to win" we put the girls in the lineup that we believe give us the best chance to win. Stats can also be deceiving - if one player rips a line drive down the line and the 3rd baseman makes a specatular play for an out and another player hits a weak flare over the 1st basemans head for a single because she was late on the pitch, which one do you want at the plate with bases loaded, 2 outs in the bottom of the 7th when you are down by 1?

Jun 18, 2013
I have no issue with your grievances. You had me on your side right about wen you said this bozo plays pick-up players and has his own girls sit.

On my team, all the girls play and they all play on Sunday (maybe not every Sunday, but they will play on Sunday). I am of the belief that if you pick a girl, you need to play her so she can get better. Getting better is the sole reason to be on a travel team in the first place, IMHO, and girls simply cannot progress without playing.

I have no qualms about taking away PT for problems, though.

Don't show up to practice, you may not play (depending on reason).

Decide to go to a rec game instead of practice? You will not play.

Give less than 100% effort at any time? You may not play.

Give less than 100% effort on a few occasions and you will not play.

Sulk or pout because you don't like where/when you're playing? Think about it from the bench.

Sulk from the bench? Go sit with your parents.

Parent gets in my face or talks crap behind my back? Go find another team.....immediately. No second chances.

I want my DD to come play on your team. Can you move to BFE to coach a team?

I have been watching a lot of college softball lately, and even players in the WCWS can make errors on routine plays. I do not know how other coaches do it, but for our team playing time is earned in practice, not during the games. In games we are "playing to win" we put the girls in the lineup that we believe give us the best chance to win. Stats can also be deceiving - if one player rips a line drive down the line and the 3rd baseman makes a specatular play for an out and another player hits a weak flare over the 1st basemans head for a single because she was late on the pitch, which one do you want at the plate with bases loaded, 2 outs in the bottom of the 7th when you are down by 1?

That's a good philosophy, to a point, but sometimes the intensity of the game may be too much pressure for someone and you have to help them learn by sitting them down for a little bit to cool off. This is probably more of the basketball coach coming out in me, but I have found that there are definitely practice studs that have a tendency to have weird things happen once the game goes live. If it is a recurring problem then sometimes you have to ask yourself if that error on the routine play was a fluke or if it was nerves getting the better of them.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
My question is, why tell a child they are good enough for the team, make them pay $300 for uniforms, and talk about wanting loyal and dedicated players to the team, when the intention of never playing them?

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
I think that question has been settled.
Because they're jerks.[/QUOTe

Very good point. I have been trying to get my daughter to try out for this travel ball that a coach has called me several times. They want her to come to tryouts but dd refuses.... All based on her last travel ball team experience. I guess as a parent it bothers me ....

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I think that question has been settled.
Because they're jerks.

Very good point. I have been trying to get my daughter to try out for this travel ball that a coach has called me several times. They want her to come to tryouts but dd refuses.... All based on her last travel ball team experience. I guess as a parent it bothers me ....

That explains the degree of your bitterness. Sounds like a real shame. I don't know what to tell you to convince her to give travel ball another chance. Maybe play this song over and over until she gives up and agrees to try out...

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014

I understand what you're saying, but with bases loaded and two outs, I'll take the flare over the first-baseman's head over the rocket to 3B every time. Some players routinely hit the ball hard, but have a knack for finding the defender's glove. It's maddening! Others don't hit as hard, but somehow seem to find a hole in the defense. The stats don't "deceive", they just don't care about how hard the ball was hit, only what happened as a result. Coaches are often enamored by athleticism, speed, hitting power, arm strength, but overlook game smarts, coolness under pressure, and motivation. I've been guilty of it myself.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles