Look What We did to our Rip-It Mask!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2013
Illinois
It looks like the visor sits out side the mask.
If so, wouldn't it break if hit by a softball ball.
I always thought the catchers visors went inside the mask

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Don't know how the various alphabet organizations will rule on this but pretty sure this mask would be illegal in high school ball (are you out there Comp??). My DD was told to take off her non-shiny sunglasses under (and not connected to) her Rip-It mask last HS season because the umpire thought the two were connected and he couldn't see her eyes (concussion protocols).

Jun 13, 2012
I have a question. I thought this idea has some potential & stopped in at a retailer last night to look at one of these sun visors in person. Different brand though. I noticed that theyre not designed for direct vision, but rather to shield the eyes. I noticed that when i looked through it, it's definitely not optically neutral - there's some significant optical distortion (on the one i looked at, it was curved following the contour of the curve). So, yeah, non-starter for me.

Is the diamond one you have there ok distortion wise?

Im thinking maybe of looking at an optical film instead (ie a neutral density film designed for photography). My rationale being it wont distort her vision and, being a film wouldnt present any risk of shattering or injuring her. Heck, i might even be able to get one thats polarized too.

Which when i think about it, also has me thinking, I wonder what filter colour would enhance the contrast when it comes to optic yellow for non-sunny days (we have many here early season)

Jun 22, 2008
Don't know how the various alphabet organizations will rule on this but pretty sure this mask would be illegal in high school ball (are you out there Comp??). My DD was told to take off her non-shiny sunglasses under (and not connected to) her Rip-It mask last HS season because the umpire thought the two were connected and he couldn't see her eyes (concussion protocols).

If memory serves one of the rule sets does not allow visors inside the catchers mask. I don't see it in asa so it may be nfhs but would have to dig through the rule book. If the rule set doesn't allow it in the catchers helmet it would be safe to assume the rule would also extend to any other player wearing a face mask. Again, I'm not positive but will have to double check the rule books.

As for the umpire who made your daughter take off her sunglasses, all I have to say is he is an idiot and is inventing his own rules.

Jun 22, 2008
Found the rule I was thinking about and I was mistaken in its content. It is nfhs that has a rule about eye shields. If they are used they must be of molded rigid plastic and must be completely clear, no tint is allowed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA