Level swing???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2014
as you can see from these stills his angle does not change. he started athletic and stayed athletic. the green angles are basically identical. he did not alter his tilt to attack the ball. my guess is that most every swing he takes, whether the ball is high or low will be close to this angle of tilt. no extra or less tilt base on ball path.

Nov 12, 2014
NEMO
rather than using tilt I would say get athletic and stay athletic through their swing. this has a tilt to it, but we do not tilt to adjust to the pitch high or low. we take the same swing and take the barrel to the ball. if we say tilt then, we eventually will have to answer how much tilt, for a low pitch, how little tilt for a high pitch? this adds to the pitchers advantage. their job, the pitcher, is to disrupt the hitter's timing, every variable we add, we help the pitcher. our swing should be as constant as possible, the fewer moving parts as possible. the fewer variables, the better.

How many variables are involved in each?

The way I'm thinking about it, a posture change would be 1 or 2 variables changing; more or less bend in one or two joints (knees or waist, probably),

a swing height change, to me, seems like it would change a bend or two in my arms, and then I'd have to pronate/supinate an arm to get the same wrist mechanics through the hit.

If you swing at strikes, you don't have to worry about either :)

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
as you can see from these stills his angle does not change. he started athletic and stayed athletic. the green angles are basically identical. he did not alter his tilt to attack the ball. my guess is that most every swing he takes, whether the ball is high or low will be close to this angle of tilt. no extra or less tilt base on ball path.

You would be wrong and right. Close? bat parallel :D to the shoulders, with a good hand path that does not keep messing with all the wrist articulations for adjustment , would require tilt adjustment.
That said, BOTH are required.

tiltholdc.jpg
tiltcabrerabk9kw - Cabrera_frontclose_inside.jpg
tiltgif2wrkump-0.00.40.00.jpg

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

rather than using tilt I would say get athletic and stay athletic through their swing. this has a tilt to it, but we do not tilt to adjust to the pitch high or low. we take the same swing and take the barrel to the ball

Correct me if I'm wrong you are saying a hitter does not tilt down to the ball.
no extra or less tilt base on ball path.
This would promote dropping of the hands and level to the ground swing. Correct me if I have read your suggestion wrong.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
You would be wrong and right. Close? bat perpendicular to the shoulders, with a good hand path that does not keep messing with all the wrist articulations for adjustment , would require tilt adjustment.
That said, BOTH are required.

Nice post mann! Great job with the pictures!! But I think you may mean parallel to shoulders??

Oct 4, 2014
in mann's post #33. most every swing in the strike zone has very similar tilt. what makes these guys incredible hitters is the fact that they can adjust to balls they committed to outside of the strike zone. or they may have been fooled by the pitch, speed. Miguel's pics are at different points in the swing, the second being later. look where his elbow is. in dan-o's post # 32. I believe he is correct when he states swing at strikes and you don't have to worry to about either. my thoughts on this topic have been formed from many hours of instruction from the best softball hitter of all time. you may want to argue with my contentions but I will not waiver from my opinion due to the source of my findings. with that being said, if you have success teaching another technique, then I would continue. I am not so vain to believe my way is the only way just the way I believe gives my girls the best chance to succeed. I wish you all well.

Feb 26, 2011
in mann's post #33. most every swing in the strike zone has very similar tilt. what makes these guys incredible hitters is the fact that they can adjust to balls they committed to outside of the strike zone. or they may have been fooled by the pitch, speed. Miguel's pics are at different points in the swing, the second being later. look where his elbow is. in dan-o's post # 32. I believe he is correct when he states swing at strikes and you don't have to worry to about either. my thoughts on this topic have been formed from many hours of instruction from the best softball hitter of all time. you may want to argue with my contentions but I will not waiver from my opinion due to the source of my findings. with that being said, if you have success teaching another technique, then I would continue. I am not so vain to believe my way is the only way just the way I believe gives my girls the best chance to succeed. I wish you all well.

Agree 100%, that's why I like to ask questions instead of just saying what I do or believe. I like getting other peoples perspectives and ideas, that's how you learn IMO.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest

All good with this.
Can I ask where your adjustment to pitch height is made?

in my swing thoughts, the strike zone is about from belly button to knee. The hitting zone is about what two feet in height?

The barrel travels at an angle through this zone, and the angle must change, from steep to steeper.
how?

Oct 4, 2014
mann, the strike zone, according to ASA, is front armpit to knees, while being in your stance. height adjustment is made with front hand, while you take your elbow then knob to the pitcher you also take your front hand on the plane of the pitch. front hand is the steering wheel and the back hand is the hammer. I know others will disagree with this but it works for us. think about throwing a Frisbee with your front hand on the same plane as the pitch is coming in. I actually have the girls learn to throw a Frisbee with their opposite hand. if they cant throw the Frisbee to second base then they cannot hit it up the middle, which is what I am looking for, line drives up the middle. again this has worked quite well for me. I am sure others have had success with other methods. my goal is to impart information that has worked for me. I have got much more from this website than I could ever contribute. I am just trying to do what I can to pay it forward or pay it back.

on a side note, I came to this website by hearing about it from bill hillhouse in one of his videos. looking for pitching advice. i had no idea how great it would turn out. i found a great pitching instructor that has been a blessing. he has been so informative i cant begin to tell you. he goes by Javasource on this site and my DD has gotten crazy good since visiting with him a few times. since, i have had good success with hitting instruction. after coaching rec for a while, i found folks coming to me for hitting instruction, even from other orgs. now with a TB org. since i believe it is all about the kids, i have no problem helping anyone who is looking for help. that is what i am trying to do here. hopefully some can gain from my words. take care all d.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

Unless similar is understood to mean "present", the tilt necessary to hit a high inside corner strike and a low outside corner strike are far from similar. Curious as to who do you consider the "best softball hitter of all time"? PM me if you want it kept private.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut