Level swing???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 21, 2013
Nice aggressive swing for 8 by the way. These habits are formed at young ages. I hear so many coaches of young kids tell them to "swing level". Arrrgh! In a kids mind what is level a table, the ground? In order to swing level on a waist high ball they have to drop their hands to the waist in an attempt to swing on a level plain with the ground. Lack of strength at the young ages can cause this as well. The only pitch they can truly swing close to level is one at the shoulders.

It is hard to work on lower pitches with the little ones as the tees are just too tall. I like to use short orange construction or road cones for tees. They come in various sizes and can get the ball to knee level.

Oct 21, 2012
First problem is only two of those pitches were in the strike zone. The rest were at her shoulders.

Yeah, I know. I have some more video, I just picked one. Others may have better pitches.

She pretty short so she has a smaller strike zone. LOL !

I will try some Low Tee Drills. I have never told her to swing level. I've tried to explain to her on getting on plane of the pitch. Level with the ball, not level with the ground. Trying to get her to tilt more , but she's young and has a pretty good swing for age, just trying to get better.

Thanks for ideas.
Chad

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
I think she did great with the pitches she had to work with. If anything, my slow eyes aren't seeing much hip/shoulder separation, and I'd get her to extend a bit more.

Your initial question was why she swings differently between tee swings and live pitching, so video of each would help.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
On 3rd and 4th looks, the swing at her knees (around :13), I think I see her dropping her rear shoulder and collapsing the back knee a little to get to that ball. Anybody else seeing that?

Last edited:
May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Don't you tilt more or less depending on pitch location ? Lower pitch more tilt ?

I swing at that pitch by extending a little more/earlier. My back shoulder stays pretty much where it is on every other pitch. But maybe that's why I'm playing in an over-35 baseball league and not a D1 hitting instructor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi