Level swing???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 26, 2011
I swing at that pitch by extending a little more/earlier. My back shoulder stays pretty much where it is on every other pitch. But maybe that's why I'm playing in an over-35 baseball league and not a D1 hitting instructor.

Really ? Your tilt doesn't change ? Don't take this wrong, not arguing, just trying to learn.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Really ? Your tilt doesn't change ? Don't take this wrong, not arguing, just trying to learn.

I think that the more you scrunch and scootch down to get to a pitch, the more you compromise the core and the less hard you will hit the ball. Some of the hardest balls I hit in BP are down by my shins where I'm still pretty tall but fully extended at contact. I'm sure somebody will be by soon to call me an idiot.

Oct 4, 2014
dukhunt22
a few thoughts. elbow, knob is a cue we use. it is part of the seven steps a very successful hitter uses. we are lucky enough to have her come to our org a few times a year. elbow, knob both going to pitcher NOT the ball. keep hands inside the ball. second cue, hands move forward first. I know they are moving forward and down but this cue gets them, most of the time, to stop dropping their hands, then swinging. Your DD's bat is vey flat at the beginning, think 45 degrees at set up. finally, have you seen the tee set up from Howard Carrier. 39"-51" high zone on netting, 4.5 feet tee away from net and tee set at 29.5" it gives immediate feedback and will help them with a slightly 8-10 degree upward swing path. tell them a ball hit into the zone will produce the line drive we are looking for. remember all balls are moving from high to low, yes even the riseball, the swing path should be slightly upward. not sure who said this earlier in the thread but barrel to ball is a great cue not tilt. this came directly from aforementioned hitter that we had a session with a week ago and that exact question was asked. her response was "barrel to ball, period"
good luck

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Here is a video of my 8 yo DD. I'm at a slight angle in front. So take that into consideration. Wish I knew how to slow it down for you, but I'll be doing good if it actually post the video. Any suggestions are appreciated.

D913D50E-C12F-4BC1-B26F-AAC8E32FD37F_zpsaqvt9rtl.mp4 Video by dukhunt22 | Photobucket
Thanks

The energy transfer to the barrel is being restricted.

If you are promoting palm up to extension then reconsider that goal.

168g65l.gif

Oct 21, 2012
I see what your talking about now that you slowed it down. Looks like she's trying to stay square to the ball too much. Not letting the wrist work. Any suggestions on to correcting this?

Thanks
Chad

Feb 26, 2011
dukhunt22
a few thoughts. elbow, knob is a cue we use. it is part of the seven steps a very successful hitter uses. we are lucky enough to have her come to our org a few times a year. elbow, knob both going to pitcher NOT the ball. keep hands inside the ball. second cue, hands move forward first. I know they are moving forward and down but this cue gets them, most of the time, to stop dropping their hands, then swinging. Your DD's bat is vey flat at the beginning, think 45 degrees at set up. finally, have you seen the tee set up from Howard Carrier. 39"-51" high zone on netting, 4.5 feet tee away from net and tee set at 29.5" it gives immediate feedback and will help them with a slightly 8-10 degree upward swing path. tell them a ball hit into the zone will produce the line drive we are looking for. remember all balls are moving from high to low, yes even the riseball, the swing path should be slightly upward. not sure who said this earlier in the thread but barrel to ball is a great cue not tilt. this came directly from aforementioned hitter that we had a session with a week ago and that exact question was asked. her response was "barrel to ball, period"
good luck

Why ? because of who said it ? Don't get me wrong, I use that cue also but if I'm working with a girl that doesn't tilt or has trouble with tilt, I try and teach them what, why and how to tilt. Not just tell them "barrel to the ball".

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Why ? because of who said it ? Don't get me wrong, I use that cue also but if I'm working with a girl that doesn't tilt or has trouble with tilt, I try and teach them what, why and how to tilt. Not just tell them "barrel to the ball".
cabrerabk9kw-0.00.02.16lean - cabrerabk9kw-0.00.02.80lean.jpg

when you get to the launch position, you have some lean with your body, your spine is at an angle.

when you turn into the ball, in order for your head to stay still, you must maintain that angle , by tilt, scrunch,.

that is a great starting point. The head staying in place, maintaining that angle.

From there , YES, the degree of tilt can change, you will have some more tilt for very low, and hands will drop some, and you will less tilt, for high, with higher hands, BUT, not to a massive extreme, in either case.

Tilt is a power source.

These is just my own thoughts.

Feb 26, 2011
View attachment 7641

when you get to the launch position, you have some lean with your body, your spine is at an angle.

when you turn into the ball, in order for your head to stay still, you must maintain that angle , by tilt, scrunch,.

that is a great starting point. The head staying in place, maintaining that angle.

From there , YES, the degree of tilt can change, you will have some more tilt for very low, and hands will drop some, and you will less tilt, for high, with higher hands, BUT, not to a massive extreme, in either case.

Tilt is a power source.

These is just my own thoughts.

Yes and that's how I see it/teach it, that's why I was asking. In the clip I saw tilt adjusting for a lower pitch not dropping/dipping.

Oct 4, 2014
rather than using tilt I would say get athletic and stay athletic through their swing. this has a tilt to it, but we do not tilt to adjust to the pitch high or low. we take the same swing and take the barrel to the ball. if we say tilt then, we eventually will have to answer how much tilt, for a low pitch, how little tilt for a high pitch? this adds to the pitchers advantage. their job, the pitcher, is to disrupt the hitter's timing, every variable we add, we help the pitcher. our swing should be as constant as possible, the fewer moving parts as possible. the fewer variables, the better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi