Leaning back when hitting the ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
But speaking on the lower half you can tell in those 3 pics she has started moving forward. When she gets front side resistance she stiffens and push back. Like you said earlier, her upper body takes on the angle of her front leg. It is like a lunge/push back swing.

when you are speaking of "upper body takes on the angle of her front leg", is this gif what you are talking about? What don't you like about this?

2m7he02.jpg

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Hard to make a call without moving pics or video...some bug squishers can look OK if you catch them in the right frame.

To that point, I think that's why RDB is scratching his head over "what's wrong with these postures..." (he's like "where's the gif baby?!?!?" A gifless RDB is an unhappy RDB :)

Since we're all shooting in the dark, I'll take a shot...

To me, her swing smells of some common "tips" that I hear all the time...specifically tip like "keep your weight back" and get\keep your hands back.

It sounds to me like she is "dipping her front toe into the pool" as she is moving her hands back - creating both the ELAE that Straightleg mentioned a few posts back and the false COM shift that is leaving almost no weight on her front leg and the majority on her back leg.

What would I try...I agree with SL's suggestion to use the throwing motion as an example of how the lower should be working...even though its not an exact match to hitting it should help start to get her stop dipping her toe in the pool...

I would also spend some time doing the babe ruth drill but start with NO bat...show her a clip of babe ruth and have her duplicate him but with no bat. (cue: make it big and athletic)

Ruth-Babe-Side.gif

In lieu of no bat...have her abduct her right (rear hand) (think Jazz Hands) and stick her thumb in the middle of her right anterior deltoid.

front delt.PNG

Now get her to abduct her left hand and connect her left thumb with the right pinkie finger. This is just to establish the relationship between her hands and the rear should so she will STOP confusing ARM BAR with any sort of loading\resistance creating motion. Make sure there is bend in the front elbow - lead elbow up! Kinda like SwingBuilder is demonstrating here in terms of hand\shoulder "spacing."

SwingBuilder Hands shoulder.jpg

All that being said...

She'll never get to any of the Cat\Cow positions that TDS talks about of any of the Ant\Post slings that Buttermaker talks about simply because IMO this ELAE move pretty much neutralizes the body's ability to properly use the core to control the swing. When I arm bar back I feel like my core almost gets locked...I may be FoS but this is what I feel...also, other than Alex Hugo who get pretty close arm bar at the furthest point of her stretch position, turning the barrel from this position is damn near impossible...carve\filet is carve ONLY...my spidey-sense has kind of been tingling with regards to ELAE for some time..especially after some PM's to some of the resident gurus here...I see this A TON with the younger girls I work with...

I would take the focus off the ball and the bat until you can get her to use her lower properly and understand how to move her weight with her body...Then and ONLY then I would add a bat and a ball and move to drills like the kick drill...

Just a thought before I click "post"...if she is still struggling with her weight shift\COM...try the SnF drill...with her bodt perpendicular to the "hit" line it would be impossible for her to dip her toe in the pool...

Here's SB from the hand\should pic above...

Pardon the length and I hope my guesses are correct or at least help in some manner...CP

Attachments

• SwingBuilder Hands shoulder.jpg
    SwingBuilder Hands shoulder.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Hard to make a call without moving pics or video...some bug squishers can look OK if you catch them in the right frame.

To that point, I think that's why RDB is scratching his head over "what's wrong with these postures..." (he's like "where's the gif baby?!?!?" A gifless RDB is an unhappy RDB :)

Since we're all shooting in the dark, I'll take a shot...

To me, her swing smells of some common "tips" that I hear all the time...specifically tip like "keep your weight back" and get\keep your hands back.

It sounds to me like she is "dipping her front toe into the pool" as she is moving her hands back - creating both the ELAE that Straightleg mentioned a few posts back and the false COM shift that is leaving almost no weight on her front leg and the majority on her back leg.

What would I try...I agree with SL's suggestion to use the throwing motion as an example of how the lower should be working...even though its not an exact match to hitting it should help start to get her stop dipping her toe in the pool...

I would also spend some time doing the babe ruth drill but start with NO bat...show her a clip of babe ruth and have her duplicate him but with no bat. (cue: make it big and athletic)

Ruth-Babe-Side.gif

In lieu of no bat...have her abduct her right (rear hand) (think Jazz Hands) and stick her thumb in the middle of her right anterior deltoid.

View attachment 7137

Now get her to abduct her left hand and connect her left thumb with the right pinkie finger. This is just to establish the relationship between her hands and the rear should so she will STOP confusing ARM BAR with any sort of loading\resistance creating motion. Make sure there is bend in the front elbow - lead elbow up! Kinda like SwingBuilder is demonstrating here in terms of hand\shoulder "spacing."

View attachment 7136

All that being said...

She'll never get to any of the Cat\Cow positions that TDS talks about of any of the Ant\Post slings that Buttermaker talks about simply because IMO this ELAE move pretty much neutralizes the body's ability to properly use the core to control the swing. When I arm bar back I feel like my core almost gets locked...I may be FoS but this is what I feel...also, other than Alex Hugo who get pretty close arm bar at the furthest point of her stretch position, turning the barrel from this position is damn near impossible...carve\filet is carve ONLY...my spidey-sense has kind of been tingling with regards to ELAE for some time..especially after some PM's to some of the resident gurus here...I see this A TON with the younger girls I work with...

I would take the focus off the ball and the bat until you can get her to use her lower properly and understand how to move her weight with her body...Then and ONLY then I would add a bat and a ball and move to drills like the kick drill...

Just a thought before I click "post"...if she is still struggling with her weight shift\COM...try the SnF drill...with her bodt perpendicular to the "hit" line it would be impossible for her to dip her toe in the pool...

Here's SB from the hand\should pic above...

Pardon the length and I hope my guesses are correct or at least help in some manner...CP

CP, the more I see videos like this, the more I begin to wonder if there might be a bit of a paranoia regarding realizing proper extension.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
CP, the more I see videos like this, the more I begin to wonder if there might be a bit of a paranoia regarding realizing proper extension.

I would agree with that statement...On the other side of the coin, I also think there is also a bit of pronoia about getting to extension almost like some are looking at extension as a cause instead of an effect...my older DD's coach fits this mindset...

I think SB's video just needs context around it. Most but not all of the 10U girls I've done SnF with throw the arms out to extension instinctively without rotating everything from the ground up because they've never moved their body in this manner before. In this regards, I'm presuming this is why SB is purposely sawing off any extension in this video...

Even in his HG drill video, he holds off on full extension on the last few swings...presumably because the focus\feel should be on the lower half\core movements not on any hand\upper movements.

CP

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest

I also work hard on teaching a tight pivot point, letting the ball get deep.

At the same time, yes, then the extension tends to "get stuck".

THESE things happen, when you teach. that's why you have to be very careful when you teach what, that it is off season,OR

That you have time to smooth the edges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g