Leaning back when hitting the ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2013
But speaking on the lower half you can tell in those 3 pics she has started moving forward. When she gets front side resistance she stiffens and push back. Like you said earlier, her upper body takes on the angle of her front leg. It is like a lunge/push back swing. She has a lot going on with her swing and she goes to a private instructor. So I do very little to contradict what she is being told. I have spoken with her parents and pointed all of it out to her and them. She is still committed to this instructor so, I have made a slapper out of her and told her parents not to have the hitting instructor work with her on slapping/dragging. That area is mine. What else can I do?

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
But speaking on the lower half you can tell in those 3 pics she has started moving forward. When she gets front side resistance she stiffens and push back. Like you said earlier, her upper body takes on the angle of her front leg. It is like a lunge/push back swing. She has a lot going on with her swing and she goes to a private instructor. So I do very little to contradict what she is being told. I have spoken with her parents and pointed all of it out to her and them. She is still committed to this instructor so, I have made a slapper out of her and told her parents not to have the hitting instructor work with her on slapping/dragging. That area is mine. What else can I do?

Tough spot. I have had that problem before. I had mine hitting and hitting good. The parents decided to take her to a private instructor! After that, she could not hit the side of a barn. I did not say anything but it hurt my team. I think the whole season she got one hit! I feel for you!

Jun 1, 2013
And I appreciate it. I would post the video but, the pics I posted maintain anonymity to the girl. The video would show her face and team. Without parental consent this is about as far as I go!! Yes the bat is dropping and I think that is because she is locking that front arm and pushing back. Not turning the barrel so to speak but giving her bat lag with a huge upper cut. Does your girl do this as well?

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
And I appreciate it. I would post the video but, the pics I posted maintain anonymity to the girl. The video would show her face and team. Without parental consent this is about as far as I go!! Yes the bat is dropping and I think that is because she is locking that front arm and pushing back. Not turning the barrel so to speak but giving her bat lag with a huge upper cut. Does your girl do this as well?

I understand about the post of the video w/o parental consent.

What do mean locking the front arm? Does she extend it out? Is she trying to push the door knob?

I think mine also has an upper cut b/c she is leaning back.

I was watching Callista Balko youtube videos. This has given me some ideas to try on girl.

I will try the top hand reverse drill.

I will also have to try and drag her toe of the rear foot so that she cannot put any weight on it.

I sent her the Jen Yee kick gif so that she could see that. Hopefully, that will help.

I posted on your other thread. Let me know what you think.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

her upper body takes on the angle of her front leg. It is like a lunge/push back swing
Why is this bad to you? What position do you you want the upper body in? Can you post a pic of a hitter in your ideal 'upper body forward' position.
7103d1418349854-leaning-back-when-hitting-ball-th.jpg

7104d1418349854-leaning-back-when-hitting-ball-th2.jpg

It's perfectly fine to have back knee bent but not the torso matching the front leg angle.
Both you guys believe this is a bad/improper upper body position.
From your description if the upper body goes forward that is a 'lunge'.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I understand about the post of the video w/o parental consent.

What do mean locking the front arm? Does she extend it out? Is she trying to push the door knob?

I think mine also has an upper cut b/c she is leaning back.

I was watching Callista Balko youtube videos. This has given me some ideas to try on girl.

I will try the top hand reverse drill.

I will also have to try and drag her toe of the rear foot so that she cannot put any weight on it.

I sent her the Jen Yee kick gif so that she could see that. Hopefully, that will help.

I posted on your other thread. Let me know what you think.

Do you think the hitter ( Yee) has no weight on her rear foot during the swing. See that is what I picture is you ideal of what a hitter should look like. I believe you are misunderstanding the proper swing sequence.
YeeKickDrill.gif

Yee's 'weight' comes off of her rear foot/leg after contact and because of the drill.
Here is Jen Yee's game swing:
2cqcjdt.gif

2yx3ris.gif

Is your hitters body like Yee's?

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
Do you think the hitter ( Yee) has no weight on her rear foot during the swing. See that is what I picture is you ideal of what a hitter should look like. I believe you are misunderstanding the proper swing sequence.
YeeKickDrill.gif

Yee's 'weight' comes off of her rear foot/leg after contact and because of the drill.
Here is Jen Yee's game swing:
2cqcjdt.gif

2yx3ris.gif

Is your hitters body like Yee's?

Bass, I think Jen Yee has great mechanics! My hitter hardly has any weight on her front leg. No front leg resistance.

As far as the drill of not putting weight on the back foot, that would just b a drill until w we can get her from leaning so far back. I realize that u must have some backwards lean when making contact with the ball. We r on the same page. I probably not explaining correctly. Hard w/o video.
Thanks for your patience!

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
View attachment 7099View attachment 7100

Here is where she starts. She is barring her front arm through the swing but at contact her back leg is bent.

Here is my opinion on what is happening in her swing. She straightens her lead arm early, straightens her lead leg early.

First thing will take the knob out over the plate. She will have a level swing, and her finish will be around the middle of her back. Some girls will hit their back with bat.
Second thing will make her push her momentum backwards, making her hit off the back leg and usually that makes the back leg bend and they straighten their body up.

ELAE. Early lead arm extension takes awhile to break. They have been doing it their whole swinging life... I have a 7th grader right now that came will all the things this girl has.

I start with throwing mechanics, work on weight shift in throwing. It will translate into the hitting after awhile.
The RHS with game bat will help break ELAE. Drive balls straight up the middle.

These 2 things will start to fix her swing.

Straightleg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877