Leaning back when hitting the ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2013
I will start a new thread with a different batter I want you guys to look at and tell me what you think.

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
I have to see a pic of this. Is this what you are describing?
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sorry rdbass. I do not have a pic or video. I will try and get one. It will be good to have one so what we can see the improvement she will make!

Thanks!

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
sbcowboy Another thing to try is the Happy Gilmore to full extension, not a full swing while trying the same rear foot action as the Kirk It drill. It seems to me that to get into the position that you are describing is that she must be doing something at the very beginning of her swing that lets her get away with it. Such as excessively dropping her hands.

Two good examples of swings provided earlier with the head above the rear knee with a slight tilt towards the plate. It's perfectly fine to have back knee bent but not the torso matching the front leg angle.
th.jpg
th2.jpg

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
Yes it is a problem. I have a girl that does the same thing. Not sure you understand what exactly he is talking about. The girl I have seem to try and generate more whip by throwing her upper body back as her hand come forward. 45 degree angle is not what those pic show but the girl I have does this at about a 45 as well. OP, is this creating a hole in her swing as well? I have spoken to my girl several times and showed her video of herself to no avail. I even had her exaggerate her front should to a steep down hill position but in the end she still comes out of it. Any other drills besides the kick it drill?

Easton! You know exactly what I am describing. I think it is worst than squashing the bug. Her front leg is straight but there is no weight on it. All of the weight is on the rear foot. No power in her hitting!

Easton. There is a drill that I saw today that is suppose to help.
You place a ball on a tee in front of the plate and force the batter have to reach out for the ball to make contact.

Here is the link. You will have to go through the whole thing. There is a lot of good information on it!

Let me know if you find anything the works.

Thanks!

http://youtu.be/GS-PcxmaHmQ

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
sbcowboy Another thing to try is the Happy Gilmore to full extension, not a full swing while trying the same rear foot action as the Kirk It drill. It seems to me that to get into the position that you are describing is that she must be doing something at the very beginning of her swing that lets her get away with it. Such as excessively dropping her hands.

Two good examples of swings provided earlier with the head above the rear knee with a slight tilt towards the plate. It's perfectly fine to have back knee bent but not the torso matching the front leg angle.
View attachment 7103

The girl in the blue is what my batter would look like if you can straighten her up. She leans way back on the rear foot. Her foot is the squashing the bug position. I would think that her head is probably over her back foot.

Happy Gilmore drill to full extension? Do you mean just do it normal?

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
Happy Gilmore drill to full extension? Do you mean just do it normal?

Just a guess that she isn't tying in any turn the barrel action into a balanced swing. I would hold it at extension until she is used to having her head forward of where it is now. If she tried it with her head so far back she would loss her balance.

To me full extension should still have the barrel pointed somewhere between 1st and 2nd. The girl in the black looks really good, keeps her head in and has her barrel pointing at the second baseman.

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
View attachment 7099View attachment 7100

Here is where she starts. She is barring her front arm through the swing but at contact her back leg is bent.

Easton, when I look at the photo on the right, it looks as if she is dropping the bat behind her back. Looks as if she is swinging around her shoulder.

The backhand drill might also be a great drill to help w/ the leaning back. Check out the video! Callista Balko was a very successful hitter!

http://youtu.be/HqCfLXjL3yM

Jun 1, 2013
As far as top half goes I think this is the single biggest problem. Once it gets fixed a lot of things will fall into place. IMHO, if you have a bad lower half or a bad top half you can still make decent contact with the ball although not maximizing on your potential. When they are both bad you can't hardly touch a ball. These are from the same swing as earlier.Screenshot_2014-12-11-23-18-30.jpgScreenshot_2014-12-11-23-16-49-1.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi