LDS and travel ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I am LDS, though not overly active. Around here (northern Utah) communities are at least 50 percent LDS. Where I live it's roughly 70 percent. Virtually all of the tournaments here in Utah and southern Idaho are scheduled to play Friday and Saturday, often Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. However, sometimes the weather messes things up and games have had to be played on Sunday.

With my team from 15 years ago, there were only a couple of times when we had to play on Sunday. I never demanded that players play on Sunday, but most did and most were LDS. It's more something they don't want to make a habit of.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
This topic isn't much different than having a kid on the team, whose parents share joint custody. Some parents will bring her to games, some won't - or they could live out of town.

Jul 4, 2012
I've worked with several members of the LDS Church, and in my experience family seemed to be just as important as the attendance at church meetings. If offered a platform to pray or give devotion with all members on the team, I would guess they attend Sunday's games. They will be the most supportive group you have around. Just my 2...

Jun 29, 2013
Amy- the boy you spoke of sounds like he's an Orthodox Jew, 7th day is possible also, but Orthodox Jews respect their Sabbath like that.
I respect anyone who is willing to put their faith above a game. Koufax and Shawn Greene are the most obvious examples out their of pros who did this. If any league or tourney were scheduled for Christmas Eve or Easter, my kids wouldn't play, it's not even a question in my mind.
The take every Sunday off is a problem if you want to play sports, though. Sundays are ok by me personally, provided it isn't every Sunday and occasionally at least the Sunday Start times aren't at 8:00 in the morning. But I wouldn't join a team if I knew I was never going to allow my D to play on a Sunday.

There are secular colleges who rarely play on Sundays, so the players can find a place to play if they want, and are good enough, at the college level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Carbajal