LDS and travel ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
We have a great softball family in our community that has two really good young players, but they are LDS so their religion prevents them from playing on Sunday's so they are not looking into travel ball. Does anyone know how other families have deal with this barrier to travel ball before? I would think there must be some teams out there that have girls that do not play on Sunday's, or only scrimmage on other days. I'd really like to give the dad some information on an option for getting them into a program where they can face better competition.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Many of my students are LDS. They are good athletes. That is the key. So, teams take them, knowing that they won't be there on Sunday. The team has to adjust their numbers so that they have enough players on Sunday.

I was shocked when I first moved to Flagstaff and certain girls couldn't come on Sunday. I just wasn't familiar with the religion. Although, I had a boy on my LL team that couldn't play from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. I believe that was 7th day adventist.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
If softball on Sundays is an issue, unfortunately the journey ends with High School since she probably will not be able to play in college. Maybe find a TB team that can give her a few innings during pool play on Saturday. I had a girl in 10U that I accommodated.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
The largest local rec league in Tucson never schedules practice or games on Sundays.

Looks like BYU softball (and maybe all other sports) don't play on Sundays. But...University of Utah and Utah State both commonly play on Sunday. So I'm confused. I don't know the LDS religion. Maybe BYU is private, and Utah and USU are public?

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
The largest local rec league in Tucson never schedules practice or games on Sundays.

Looks like BYU softball (and maybe all other sports) don't play on Sundays. But...University of Utah and Utah State both commonly play on Sunday. So I'm confused. I don't know the LDS religion. Maybe BYU is private, and Utah and USU are public?

Yes. BYU is a private LDS university, just as Notre Dame is a private Catholic university.

Feb 3, 2011
My wife is LDS and our daughter is baptized and does a lot of the stuff. Her calling is softball, though, so she plays or practices every Sunday. It's not the religion that prevents anyone from doing anything. They aren't going to kick her out of the club for going to church only half of the time compared to everyone else. Unfortunately for the kids, not every parent supports allowing their kids to make more of the choices along their path in life.

For an A-level TB team in 10-14u, I'm not going to want players who have other obligations on Saturdays or Sundays, because we're going to be playing at least 18-20 weekends a year against the best possible competition. I know everyone will miss an event from time-to-time for personal reasons, but if they can never be there for Saturday-Sunday play, then I need to fill that roster slot with more committed players. For a B-level team with B-level goals, however, I would not mind accommodating players who will be there when they can.

I would imagine that really high-level 16u/18u showcase teams could be ok with a top player not being there on Sundays, so hopefully the girls you mentioned will be able to get to that level someday if the goal is to play at the highest level possible.

Feb 7, 2014
My wife is LDS and our daughter is baptized and does a lot of the stuff. Her calling is softball, though, so she plays or practices every Sunday. It's not the religion that prevents anyone from doing anything. They aren't going to kick her out of the club for going to church only half of the time compared to everyone else. Unfortunately for the kids, not every parent supports allowing their kids to make more of the choices along their path in life.

For an A-level TB team in 10-14u, I'm not going to want players who have other obligations on Saturdays or Sundays, because we're going to be playing at least 18-20 weekends a year against the best possible competition. I know everyone will miss an event from time-to-time for personal reasons, but if they can never be there for Saturday-Sunday play, then I need to fill that roster slot with more committed players. For a B-level team with B-level goals, however, I would not mind accommodating players who will be there when they can.

I would imagine that really high-level 16u/18u showcase teams could be ok with a top player not being there on Sundays, so hopefully the girls you mentioned will be able to get to that level someday if the goal is to play at the highest level possible.

Sounds about right !

Religion and Sports shouldn't have to be either / or... rather both !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1