Ball Rollback?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 11, 2023
Who offered the stern talk?
Coach? Parent?
A Person walking by?😉
A parent coach. The best mashup. I don't know if it was the parent or coach side talking to me. But apparently fielding is everyone else's responsibility. The pitcher's job is only to pitch. Worrying about fielding is GUARANTEED to make the pitcher miss their spots.

And balls, deep counts, and walks were cool if you were throwing harder than everyone else.

I was dead on arrival and just moved along. Sometimes being inquisitive is triggering.

Jan 25, 2022
Since you are a pitching instructor,
will ask,
do you teach your pitchers anything in particular to be set up after the finish of their pitches to prepare them to be defensive players?

I don't teach it. My daughter is my primary student. I was studying the topic and saw coaches teaching a finish in the ready position and it looked distracting as a pitcher. My daughter has always played 3B so she's used to it. I do occasionally keep a tennis ball in my throwing hand and fling it back at her randomly after catching her pitch. Overall it's just never been an issue. Wear a mask and chest guard.

Edit...we did also do some work for reflexes. Tennis ball bounces off the wall from very close. Coordination work bouncing it off the floor, one arm bounce catch with me, etc. I have to train my own catching reflexes as her speed increases. She also got plenty of 3B reps in the off-season. She caught a couple comebacks and fielded every ground ball. I think she only had one miss all season.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
One thing I forget to add. 10 or so years ago a team I was coaching on went to an indoor tournament. The complex wasn't very big and the outfield was not symmetric, it was deeper in left and center. There was a line on the 'wall' in right center, to right was a double, to the left was a home run. My kid's eyes lit up when they saw this. However we played with a Worth Level 10 ball, which I was familiar with, I had some that I used for cold weather BP to cut the bat sting. The Level 10 is not a 'softie', it feels and bounces like a real ball. No one hit a homer, so I know the ball can be dialed back.

Jun 22, 2008
Softball bats have had a 98 mph exit speed restriction going on 20 years now. Every manufacturer has been pushing the extremes of that limit ever since it was introduced and their bats cannot exceed that limit. They do an accelerated break in of the bats before they are tested to make sure they wont exceed that limit after break in so Im not sure how the bats could possibly be getting hotter every year. They are limited to 98 mph exit speed.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Softball bats have had a 98 mph exit speed restriction going on 20 years now. Every manufacturer has been pushing the extremes of that limit ever since it was introduced and their bats cannot exceed that limit. They do an accelerated break in of the bats before they are tested to make sure they wont exceed that limit after break in so Im not sure how the bats could possibly be getting hotter every year. They are limited to 98 mph exit speed.
True, and golf also has similar rules limiting drivers and golf balls, but players keep hitting it further. I think in softball you are seeing a similar thing, an increase in exit velocity, it's probably more from better training than equipment.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414