Lafayette ... any comments on their hitter's mechanics?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2010
Thanks for the video jbooth!

Posey_Laf_pre.gif

ok, ok... so it's not EXACT! I mean she is a female and he is male... She swings a metal bat, he swings wood... He's going at downward plane pitches, her's are more flat, she's isolating one aspect/feel and his clip is part of a fuller sequence/swing ... you get the picture... or you probably don't get the picture... but that has never stopped you before :)

Not only not EXACT, not even close. He's throwing the barrel down and away, and lifting his hands. His hands turn over as the barrel goes down and forces them to turn, as he lifts his hands. She is using her hands to immediately drop the barrel.

Her forearm is supinating, he is using ulnar deviation of the wrist.

P.S.

In layman's terms; he's swinging an axe and she's twirling a baton.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You might want to also see what MLB hitters do in pre-swing and understand what they are trying to feel and what they want to do.
Which is; keep the barrel up, and then throw it directly down at the ball.

See here http://firstpickclub.com/video/mlbpreswingna.mp4

Nothing even remotely like this;

2ymx4pf.gif

Jim, in the GIF from your post above, is she not swinging the ‘bat head’ directly down while keeping the hands up?

In the link you provided, I do something very similar to the pump-like motion that you’ve depicted. I can’t say why the pros do it, but for me it gives the feel of the top hand/wrist being fired/whipped. It’s the feel I have in my normal swing coming out of approximately the bat lag orientation.

May 16, 2010
Jim, in the GIF from your post above, is she not swinging the ‘bat head’ directly down while keeping the hands up?

In the link you provided, I do something very similar to the pump-like motion that you’ve depicted. I can’t say why the pros do it, but for me it gives the feel of the top hand/wrist being fired/whipped. It’s the feel I have in my normal swing coming out of approximately the bat lag orientation.

I'll repeat what I said to Noontime;

Her forearm is supinating, he is using forearm extension combined with ulnar deviation of the wrist.

In layman's terms; he's swinging an axe and she's twirling a baton.

Her motion is weak, his is strong. He is throwing the barrel directly at the ball, she's spinning the barrel at the ball.

Her motion accelerates rearward and his accelerates through the ball.

He is throwing the barrel out and down, she's throwing rearward and around.

Completely different bio-mechanics and physics and geometry.

Here are some more guys; the only difference between what they are doing before they get in the box, and what they do with a real swing is; they tilt the shoulders and turn the knob toward the ball before they do that preswing action. The tilting and turning turn it into a sidearm throw, more parallel with the ground than the 45 degree angle that is seen in the preswing move.

There is no supination in an MLB hitter's move to get the knob pointing at the ball. It's just shoulder tilt and change of elbow angles. ULL hitters are supinating with the elbow angle change and getting little to no throw through.

http://firstpickclub.com/video/preswingb.mp4

Last edited:

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
How about this for a pre swing mechanic!!!

[video=youtube_share;YngyMco72QA]http://youtu.be/YngyMco72QA[/video]

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Have seen several npf players hitting with a split grip this year. Most notable was Kelly Kretschman today. She is hitting with about a 3 inch split. Also saw Sandburg and Mejia had 1-2 inches of split.

May 4, 2012
What are you doing still studying these "low-level" "arm swinger" mechanics? LOL Daughter and I come back and review the gif's regularly. Thanks again to FFS making the gif's here and on the model swings

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Dd had not split grip yet this year. We messed with it a month ago and dd said "I feel like I am pushing, not whipping when I split." At that time I dried a tear, gave her a hug, and said "oh honey, you are going to be great."
So been dealing with pop flies. Had 3 early games yesterday...several pop outs. So last night we went to the park and messed again with a split. Today she only got 2 at bats before rain out. Both she took with about an inch split. Both first pitch oppo line drive homeruns. First ball was one of the fastest I have ever seen leave a park...prob 230 before hitting the ground.
A bit of a split proves again to be a great adjustment for us anyway.

May 4, 2012
Dd had not split grip yet this year. We messed with it a month ago and dd said "I feel like I am pushing, not whipping when I split." At that time I dried a tear, gave her a hug, and said "oh honey, you are going to be great."
So been dealing with pop flies. Had 3 early games yesterday...several pop outs. So last night we went to the park and messed again with a split. Today she only got 2 at bats before rain out. Both she took with about an inch split. Both first pitch oppo line drive homeruns. First ball was one of the fastest I have ever seen leave a park...prob 230 before hitting the ground.
A bit of a split proves again to be a great adjustment for us anyway.

seems to working for the Cajuns, too :) #6 seed in the tourney. 44-8-1 this yr. #2 in D1 in HR's per game, #12 in slugging percentage

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01