KC Peeps...what are the chances tourneys will be cancelled this weekend?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
I does depend on the complex, but the comment about OGSA is not accurate. Since the new field surfaces were implemented a year ago, the OGSA field have been playable when most others in the area couldn't.

That all being said, it doesn't look promising for anyone this weekend unless the forecasters are wrong.

When you talk about OGSA (ASA Tournament) you need to clarify for the out of town teams who have never been hear before. OGSA has two complex's which are owned by the city of Olathe. The "OGSA" complex and the "Lone Elm" complex. Lone Elm is newer and with the exception of fields 2 and 5 drains very well. The OGSA complex is the older complex. It does drain better that is use to but it still requires a lot of work when they get wet.

For the ASA Tournament Hidden Valley, Legacy and Blue Valley drain well and they can usually get play restarted after a quick rain storm. Happy Rock drains better that OGSA and as for Wilbur Young I do not know as we have never played there. The problem with all the fields this week is that the ground is saturated. Any rain we get will be slow to drain as there is no where for the water to go.

For the USSSA tournament Marky Park, Adaire, Frank White, Celebrations and Field of Dreams are all hit an miss by field as the surfaces are older. MAWSC drains well as the complex is well maintained do to the amount of play that the fields get. Again the problem you will have is that with any significant rain this weekend the ground is saturated.

The grounds crew at all of the complexes will be busy this weekend and if you have a field rake I would bring it.

Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
Just typical Kansas and Missouri weather. Just key an eye on the weather radar and don't drive through standing water.

For those who are traveling into KC for the USSSA tournaments you can download the app called "Rainout Line" which MSP uses to post updates on conditions at the parks they are hosting events.

In case someone might need these the telephone numbers for field conditions/rain outs are:

USSSA (MSP) Memorial Day NIT - 913-543-5160 (all complexes)

Kansas City ASA Memorial Day Invitational
Blue Valley & Legacy Parks = 913-676-6066
OGSA & Lone Elm Parks = 913-764-6213
Hidden Valley & Wilbur Young Parks = 913-676-7246
Happy Rock = 913-676-7071

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2013
Depending on where you're playing in the metro, they've actually reduced the chances for the weekend. A lot of places were showing 80% chance on Saturday and a small chance on Sunday. Now they are down to 20% on Saturday and nothing on Sunday. But I'm sure that will all change in the next hour again.

Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
If you are coming to the ASA tournament in KC this weekend double check your schedule. They are starting later on Saturday and reduced game time to one hour (on Saturday only) due to the forecasted rains tonight.

Apr 26, 2015
If you are coming to the ASA tournament in KC this weekend double check your schedule. They are starting later on Saturday and reduced game time to one hour (on Saturday only) due to the forecasted rains tonight.

Yep - we play late now. Crossing my fingers the rain holds off!

Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
Forecast is for rain through the overnight ending early in the morning. Possible scattered showers in the area around noon on Saturday and then clearing out for Sunday and Monday.

KPower - We are playing at Legacy Park and Hidden Valley. Where will you be playing?

Apr 26, 2015
Forecast is for rain through the overnight ending early in the morning. Possible scattered showers in the area around noon on Saturday and then clearing out for Sunday and Monday.

KPower - We are playing at Legacy Park and Hidden Valley. Where will you be playing?

Wilbur Young and Keystone.

Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
KPower and any of you that participated in the KC ASA Memorial Day tournament. Curious as to your opinion of the tournament, quality of teams played, and anything you liked or would like to see improved?

Apr 26, 2015
DD's team is just 12U so our opinion may differ. The fields we played on were nice - nothing super special (although the outfield at Keystone was a swamp) and the umping was some of the best we've seen all season. The competition was all over the board for DD's team - but then again they had a couple games where they looked like they'd never played softball a day in their lives. They did have several games where they played like superstars too. Unfortunately they just couldn't stay consistent and they just don't have depth in pitching so they were out after the 2nd round of bracket play. The team they lost to was a 2nd year team and the smallest girl on the team was probably 5'6" - with most of the girls at least 5'9". DD's team is a 1st year team and our biggest girl is 5'5". DD's team only lost 4-3. The other team had only had 3 runs scored on them all weekend so at the end of the day our girls were happy with how things ended.

We did go watch some friends play at Legacy Park and Hidden Valley - wow - NICE fields! Very impressed.

As far as how to improve? No complaints. I thought it was well run. Scores were posted quickly and we always knew where to go next and when. People were friendly and the weather was nice (although a little humid for my Colorado tastes ;) )

Over all, I would return again - no questions asked. Thanks for the great weekend.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck