Is this the key to the MLB hitting "process"?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I am still digesting what you wrote and not sure we would or should try to make the transition. So you could use that against us I suppose if we play each other. The problem is, rotational and all, we still hit pretty well. And, we all know, good pitching beats good hitting anyway. But if I can be sold that good, balanced, rotational hitting is definitely inferior to this new style then I could start teaching the younger kids that style. Thanks for the response.

I would argue if the "high level swing" is really something new:
Babe_side.gif

Or a better look at what has really been going on. The first step IMO for people sold on the "rotational swing" is to look at rotational/linear sales pitch and really look...what is rotating? Is it really rotating or clearing? I am not suggesting hit down on the ball, but a complete clearing of what people have said happens, and taking a close look at what really happens.
bautistaoverheadzoom_zpsf42ad6e8.gif

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
good piece of advice.. Who would that be:)

SL
I would say that is up to the OP to decide...but when posters don't give any advice, but obsess themselves with trying to stop everyone else's advice, they remove themselves from any possibility of being in that group.

Jul 20, 2010
I would argue if the "high level swing" is really something new:
Babe_side.gif

Or a better look at what has really been going on. The first step IMO for people sold on the "rotational swing" is to look at rotational/linear sales pitch and really look...what is rotating? Is it really rotating or clearing? I am not suggesting hit down on the ball, but a complete clearing of what people have said happens, and taking a close look at what really happens.
bautistaoverheadzoom_zpsf42ad6e8.gif

Dang good post! Really good! Did I say I like this? In case I didn't , I do !

Okay, I just discovered this site and it is making me re-evaluate my coaching philosophies.
My jaw dropped when I read the post stop squashing the bug.
I have coached a number of years including some very successful high school teams in PA and Las Vegas. (Last year made it to the PA state quarterfinals, lost 4-3 to team that went on to win the State Title). I have not fully decided yet if I am going to change my hitting instruction based on what I read so far but my mind is certainly open.
I have always taught to take a very soft step or no step at all, keeping most weight on back foot, and having the girls "hit the ball with their right knee, right hip" aka rotational hitting which does end with a squash the bug look. Their weight ends up equal on both feet, firm front side, and they are very balanced, which I am a big proponent of. Yes, I also teach the knob inside ball, bat lag, etc.
Here is my question for those that can help me: The biggest difference I am reading would be to take a heavier step, shifting weight forward, using the hips towards pitcher, and then still using the rotational swing, ending with all the weight on the front foot. Does this sound right? Is this the key to the so-called MLB hitting process as opposed to the pure rotational swing? I have been trying this and I do feel the extra momentum from the weight shift. But I do worry about how a good change up could screw up this style and the unbalance it may produce. Thanks for any responses.

DMasterson, I'm new the the site myself, so I don't know the etiquette here yet or who knows what. I'm excited to be here.
I mostly work with baseball players but the softball girls I do with with have turned the corner so to say away from the 'squish the bug' type of move you're describing.
Does this look like what you're talking about?

going from this:
Miranda Davis (Softball) - YouTube
to this:

I'm thinking the techincal advantage to the forward movement and then into a 'rotational' move like you say is huge. Getting off the back leg allows the hitter to really get her hips cleared and complete her full turn.

Chas Pippitt

Oct 25, 2009
Okay, I just discovered this site and it is making me re-evaluate my coaching philosophies.
My jaw dropped when I read the post stop squashing the bug.
I have coached a number of years including some very successful high school teams in PA and Las Vegas. (Last year made it to the PA state quarterfinals, lost 4-3 to team that went on to win the State Title). I have not fully decided yet if I am going to change my hitting instruction based on what I read so far but my mind is certainly open.
I have always taught to take a very soft step or no step at all, keeping most weight on back foot, and having the girls "hit the ball with their right knee, right hip" aka rotational hitting which does end with a squash the bug look. Their weight ends up equal on both feet, firm front side, and they are very balanced, which I am a big proponent of. Yes, I also teach the knob inside ball, bat lag, etc.
Here is my question for those that can help me: The biggest difference I am reading would be to take a heavier step, shifting weight forward, using the hips towards pitcher, and then still using the rotational swing, ending with all the weight on the front foot. Does this sound right? Is this the key to the so-called MLB hitting process as opposed to the pure rotational swing? I have been trying this and I do feel the extra momentum from the weight shift. But I do worry about how a good change up could screw up this style and the unbalance it may produce. Thanks for any responses.

The weight shift is controlled, not "heavy"; weight shift is with the lower half, hips toward the pitcher, resulting in hip rotation; weight will be against the front foot, not on the front foot (same as you're used to).

You are right concerning the change up. If they are taught a lunge instead of a shift, that's what will happen. The key is to keep the hands back until launch, leave no weight on the backside (at POC), maintain dynamic balance throughout the swing.

Oct 25, 2009
DMasterson, I'm new the the site myself, so I don't know the etiquette here yet or who knows what. I'm excited to be here.
I mostly work with baseball players but the softball girls I do with with have turned the corner so to say away from the 'squish the bug' type of move you're describing.
Does this look like what you're talking about?

going from this:
to this:

I'm thinking the techincal advantage to the forward movement and then into a 'rotational' move like you say is huge. Getting off the back leg allows the hitter to really get her hips cleared and complete her full turn.

Chas Pippitt

Looks VERY powerful. Great job achieving the transformation!! What I don't like is the distance the head moves in her stride. In the mind's eye the ball will appear to be moving faster because the head (eyes) are moving forward. Fix that and her at-bat should be even better.

Great job!

PS: Get over to UNC and talk Coach Papa into trying that style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1