IR versus "Hello Elbow"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
Thanks BM - the bat drill is really good and would like to add this one thought (and this thought applies to the first drill BM showed from the 9:00 position):

Create IR pressure in the humerus while holding the bat or a ball at 9:00...you should feel something like torquing the humerus without actually letting it turn from the forearm restraining it...it is not an intense pressure but enough to feel it....then let it go....ball will just pop out of your hand...

Once your forearm releases the restraining torque on the humerus - the humerus turns over (IR's) and the forearm pronates (whips) by the elbow....and you end up with a natural release and follow through with the hand turning over...

xeel44.gif

I am guessing that just by the follow through of the guy in the middle that he is bypassing the humerus and trying to whip with sheer forearm force...

I wanted to add that part of the learning curve in a full windup is learning when to apply the humeral IR....like anything else you will get off some reps that will feel like you were on auto pilot and some where you forced it...reps, reps, reps...

Correct me if I am wrong here, but I've been a research junkie over the past several months, and another notable flaw in the throw in the middle sequence is the hip position at release. This is what looks to be throwing "around" the hip. No? I've heard, read, and saw my DD taught, that the hips DO NOT close until the ball has cleared. In other words, the hips follow the ball. In the video of "Forearm Fire" it doesn't look like it happens that way.

Jan 25, 2011
You are correct the guy in the middle is inncorrect. The hip follows the arm, the arm not around the hip.

Jan 18, 2011
OK, I've been away for a little and I know this has been sitting idle but I have to bring it up.

Where is BM's
"I/R in the Classroom-Drills for Skills"

Did I miss it? Still waiting in line.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
ICorrect me if I am wrong here, but I've been a research junkie over the past several months, and another notable flaw in the throw in the middle sequence is the hip position at release. This is what looks to be throwing "around" the hip. No? I've heard, read, and saw my DD taught, that the hips DO NOT close until the ball has cleared.

For a woman, the hips are wider than the shoulders. For a man, the hips are narrower than the shoulders. A man can get away with closing the hips earlier than a woman because his arm will not have to go around the hips. Some men "slam the door" and pitch quite well. If a woman tries the same thing, it is a disaster.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Sluggers ... if you come at this topic from a perspective of 'brush assisted whip' (ala Doug Gillis), which helps some feel this IR action, then you'll find the appropriate angle of the hips independent of being male or female.

Oct 22, 2009
For a woman, the hips are wider than the shoulders. For a man, the hips are narrower than the shoulders. A man can get away with closing the hips earlier than a woman because his arm will not have to go around the hips. Some men "slam the door" and pitch quite well. If a woman tries the same thing, it is a disaster.

But yet 75% of the instructors around here still teach it.

Apr 25, 2010
R u blind ?? One hand is turned over ones not!!

If you watch slow motion video of the best pitchers in the world, you will see they most all of them finish this way. There is a reason that "hello elbow" is considered bad mechanics.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
If you watch slow motion video of the best pitchers in the world, you will see they most all of them finish this way. There is a reason that "hello elbow" is considered bad mechanics.
Very true. Biggest thing I have learned here, and try to tell EVERYONE, is to look at video of what the best do. That is what you should teach your dd not what some local teacher tells you(or a famous softball players dad).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad