IR/drop explanation of spin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
The bottom spin is thirty percent rotated toward bullet spin. I don't doubt it will break some-kind of like a baseball slider or cutter. If that's working for you great but I'd like more. The greatest amount of magnus force is when the axis is perpendicular to ball flight. If I want a drop curve, I still want the axis to be perpendicular to the ball flight path. I just want it tilted over at 45 degrees give or take. And I'd like to throw that rh drop curve to left handers.

Or a lh drop curve to a rh hitter.
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/2104-all-you-i-r-pitching-junkies-3.html
Post 29 the right hand clip is the spin I'm talking about for a drop curve.

Aug 21, 2008
Bill:
Your comments seemed specific to the peel drop with repsect to the ball rolling off of the fingers with the fingers pointing to the ground at release. This is related to the ball position at 12:00 which I understand. You suggest that the release be slightly earlier than the fastball, if I understand correctly. My DD (14 years old) throws a roll over drop using the internal rotation that has been suggested here. My question is....From the 12:00 position, using internal rotation, if a pitcher is pulling (palm up) the ball from 12:00 to 6:00 rather than pushing (palm down) the ball creating the elbow whip, would the release point not be slightly later than the fastball for a roll over drop? Her dop ball is decent, but I would like to see it a bit sharper. There is very little difference in speed between her drop and fast ball, both of which could be faster (currently about 50mph)

Sorry, I cannot answer this. I don't throw a roll over drop. Personally, I think a lot of people who claim to throw roll over drops are not actually doing it. The "turn over" action seems to take place long after the ball is released in MANY cases. Obviously they don't realize this is happening or they wouldn't do the unnecessary moves at the end. Moreover, a lot of people don't seem to realize how simple a peel drop is. They believe it has to be some complex new pitch which is night and day different from their "fastball". Although someone still has to explain to me why they want a fastball. When it's actually a good time to ever throw a straight pitch without movement. I have enough days where I'm on the rubber and having trouble getting the ball to move.. I cannot fathom doing that on purpose.

Bill

May 12, 2008
I agree roll drops that have any speed are actually peels with a roll after. Didn't Lisa do that? Perhaps she felt more comfortable that way or perhaps it disguised her change out of the same motion?

You say straight pitch. Is that the definition of fastball or is a fastball off a loose lively arm with spin that breaks defined as a drop automatically? What if a pitcher has such a lively "fastball" but when asked to throw a drop has a pitch 2mph slower that breaks a LOT more? Seems to me a lot of the "disagreement" is just definitional and would disappear if we were all standing around together.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgeremesz