Internal Rotation Definition?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
Starting a new thread so as not to high jack another one.

I posted a comment that IR is not an all or none action but more like on a continuum where as most pitchers fall within somewhere between utilizing maximum full internal rotation mechanics during the arm whip whereas the palm is pointed to the sky at 9:00 and arm continues to rotate into and through release and the opposite extreme is having the ball pointed to the ground at 9:00 and the ball is pushed into and through release (hello elbow) with no internal rotation.

My post was in response to a poster who wanted to teach IR to a "D1 caliber pitcher using good mechanics" but not using internal rotation at all. I stated that someone at that level must be using some IR in her pitching mechanics but probably hasn't maximized her potential.

To this sluggers posted:

Rockettech: I have a narrow interpretation of "internal rotation". For some reason, I think "internal rotation" actually means "internal rotation" and not every part of the pitching motion. Silly me.

So with that said, DFP members what is your definition of Internal Rotation? And do you believe that most pitchers use some internal rotation in their pitching mechanics or not much at all?

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Yeah, it kinda puts an exclamation point on it, doesn't it. In fact, wouldn't it be great if it, together with Javasource's pitching bible (when it's done), would be distributed among any and all "pitching coaches"?

Or, wouldn't it be great if every pitcher or pitcher-to-be had an Internal Rotation pamphlet by Boardmember and a Pitching Bible by Javasource to hand to their "pitching coach," and then say, "TEACH ME THIS STUFF!" It's from the pitching gods.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
While we're at it......Maybe we could search for a new definition of "breathing"........

(searching desperately for the "sarcasm emoticon" so no one gets pissy)

Oh yes.......and here is my personal preference for the definition of Internal Rotation.

IMO it's not really subjective.........How much or little might be........But what it is, is Internal Rotation.........

Oh and I just wanted to point out that this is yet another thread discussing "I/R"..........Damn it people.........:p

Last edited:

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Yeah, it kinda puts an exclamation point on it, doesn't it. In fact, wouldn't it be great if it, together with Javasource's pitching bible (when it's done), would be distributed among any and all "pitching coaches"?

Or, wouldn't it be great if every pitcher or pitcher-to-be had an Internal Rotation pamphlet by Boardmember and a Pitching Bible by Javasource to hand to their "pitching coach," and then say, "TEACH ME THIS STUFF!" It's from the pitching gods.

Unfortunately, you'd still have the vast majority of pitching coaches saying "That's wrong" and ignoring it. It's not that they don't have the information. A lot of them just aren't interested in it. And the sad part is, they make up the majority which further exacerbates their belief that they are correct because of course "majority rules."

You can lead a horse to water...

Mar 28, 2013
Though having to defend what is so far a minority opinion can be frustrating,It does not bother me that my pitchers have a rather significant advantage on 70% of the other right off the bat.

Unfortunately, you'd still have the vast majority of pitching coaches saying "That's wrong" and ignoring it. It's not that they don't have the information. A lot of them just aren't interested in it. And the sad part is, they make up the majority which further exacerbates their belief that they are correct because of course "majority rules."

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah

Oh, I know. I've said here before that it would be just as productive to hand such stuff to your dog. If they don't know about this stuff by now, they aren't curious and don't give a fart that there may just be stuff further up the knowledge pole than they are at.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck