Infield Masks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
When Anna got to the point that she thought she was too cool for a mask, I gave in a little.....okay, no mask at SS! But I told her if she wants to get embarrassed, go to the circle or 3B without one and see what happens, I'll stop the game and walk out and hand you your mask in front of everyone! We had that deal and we both stuck to it!

I'll never forget going to a team camp at a very strong D1 program, I *think* Anna was 13? The coaches had every girl there all throw their masks into one pile at the start of the camp, and trust me, this particular AC hits absolute rockets to infielders, regardless of age! There was some very unhappy parents, and that camp, that day set the "mask tone" for our organization, after that camp the girls didn't want to look like they were scared of the ball.
See, there are still idiots out there. Well 2013, hopefully the guy has hung up the cleats. Mask wearing does not make you look like you are afraid of the ball. It makes you look like smart enough to know that a ball coming at you at 70 mph could take a bad hop and crush your eye socket.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
When Anna got to the point that she thought she was too cool for a mask, I gave in a little.....okay, no mask at SS! But I told her if she wants to get embarrassed, go to the circle or 3B without one and see what happens, I'll stop the game and walk out and hand you your mask in front of everyone! We had that deal and we both stuck to it!

I'll never forget going to a team camp at a very strong D1 program, I *think* Anna was 13? The coaches had every girl there all throw their masks into one pile at the start of the camp, and trust me, this particular AC hits absolute rockets to infielders, regardless of age! There was some very unhappy parents, and that camp, that day set the "mask tone" for our organization, after that camp the girls didn't want to look like they were scared of the ball.
True story
When I was recruited to play at Long Beach State the coach at the time said to me
-' by the way you won't be wearing those shin guards'
-Me 'may I ask why'
- he said because it will slow you down.
-I stated "I'm going to wear them and be the fastest catcher in the nation!"
All American
Hall of Fame
WCWS 1st team
Catcher~ Turbo

Btw that coach had something
'occur' just prior to the season where he discontinued being the coach.
Pete Manarino became our coach and never commented about shin guards.
He simply would say
'Good Hussle Turbo'
Thanks Coach Pete 🙋

Jul 14, 2018
DD has played a lot of travel softball over the last seven years. By far, the worst injuries I’ve seen have been during warmups. Multiple facial fractures, broken teeth, and hospital runs.

Girls are talking and throwing hard at a short distance, there’s lots of balls flying around and usually games being played at adjacent fields. Lots of distractions, it’s easy to lose focus for a split second and get really hurt.

DD always wears a mask when she’s playing, but also during warmups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
DD has played a lot of travel softball over the last seven years. By far, the worst injuries I’ve seen have been during warmups. Multiple facial fractures, broken teeth, and hospital runs.

Girls are talking and throwing hard at a short distance, there’s lots of balls flying around and usually games being played at adjacent fields. Lots of distractions, it’s easy to lose focus for a split second and get really hurt.

DD always wears a mask when she’s playing, but also during warmups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fastpitch is a contact sport!

This reminds me of hearing stories of parents catching for their daughters pitching and facial/head injuries.
Atleast a fielding mask is far better than nothing.
Rather than a full helmet catching mask.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
See, there are still idiots out there. Well 2013, hopefully the guy has hung up the cleats. Mask wearing does not make you look like you are afraid of the ball. It makes you look like smart enough to know that a ball coming at you at 70 mph could take a bad hop and crush your eye socket.
Oh trust me, I get it!

This AC has been scouted and offered two HC positions at HUGE D1 schools, just two that I know of, phenomenal coach! Maybe his views on face masks have changed in the last 8 years.....seems like a lot of peoples views have changed on them in recent years!

This coach actually called me one night, I was grilling out on my deck, this was while we were going through the recruiting process with Anna, we actually discussed 5 different schools and he gave me the rundown on each one of them. This AC is VERY connected down here in the Southeast! Heard the reason he turned down those HC positions is he'll end up being the HC at the college he's at now.

Nov 18, 2013
Somewhat related - but is it a requirement to wear heart guards in college?
DD doesn't pitch anymore but actually wore her heart guard even playing SS just in case they ever needed her to pitch.
There’s no requirement to wear heart guards at any level. Instances of the heart stopping from a blow to the chest are extremely rare, especially in girls. For the most part heart guards are completely ineffective.

Look up Commotio Cordis if you’d like more information.

Nov 18, 2013
Oh how the times have changed. DD is just the right age that when she started wearing a mask the Neanderthal’s of softball were ripping kids apart for it. As she got old enough to make her own choices the anti maskers gave way to the mask zealots and suddenly she was an idiot again.

it would be nice in both cases if people would shut up and mind their own business about personal choices of others.

Jun 4, 2019
Be crazy to not wear one at pitcher or 3b. Other positions are optional. I tell my 14u team corners and p are must, 2 and short ok it with your parents first.

Jun 1, 2015
Me too, but it's entirely a liability issue. Until masks get NOCSAE certification, I don't see how a high school association could mandate safety equipment that doesn't meet any industry standard.

I'm in upstate NY as a coach and as a HS/travel official, and it's baffling to me why the BASE COACHES are required to wear the plastic helmets/caps when in their boxes but we can't make the girls wear face masks. And I get the liability issue, etc, but who all are playing the games here? Certainly not the coaches (contrary to their opinion) - if they aren't paying attention, that's their own fault. I've base coached multiple games where I've had to duck, dodge, dive from foul balls - if I got hit, that'd be my issue for not paying attention.

For my 16U rec team (which is mostly made up of younger girls - so it's like a 12-14U team in a 16U league), masks for all infielders and the pitcher are MANDATORY. This is my team rule (not a league rule). I don't care if the girl plays varsity, travel, what the case is. It's my rule. If a girl/parent doesn't agree with it, then they have 3 options: 1.) Outfield/catcher, 2.) Bench, or 3.) Dismissal. My comment about it is, "Just because I have team insurance doesn't mean I feel like using it because of your lack of critical thinking skills." Surprisingly, in 7 years of coaching, I can't recall a single instance where a girl/parent b*tched about having to wear a mask. What happens when they go to their school team is out of my control, but when I DO have control, this is how it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01